Author Topic: Drumboghill Townland, Iniskeel Parish  (Read 3580 times)

Offline jimcooney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumboghill Townland, Iniskeel Parish
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Some time around 1820 John McHugh married Isabel O'Donnell, and they lived near Taralagh (Tarlagh or nowadays Terylagh) in Drumboghill. The mother of Isabel O'Donnell was Margaret Sproule.

The children of John McHugh and Isabel O'Donnell (in uncertain order) were Rose, Hanora (or Hannah, my great grandmother), and Frank, all of whom immigrated to the United States around 1850, settling in Outagamie and Waupaca Counties, Wisconsin. Other children of John McHugh and Isabel O'Donnell were Peter (who died in Ireland from drowning, before his siblings emigrated) and two sisters whose names I do not have, but one of which was alive around 1900, both living in Ireland.

Peter appears to have had a son John who married Margaret McHugh on February 11th 1868, and this couple appears to have had a son John who was born July 8, 1872. I assume there are descendants of Peter and/or his two sisters still living in Donegal, perhaps still in Inishkeel Parish, who would be my cousins. Any clues as to to haw I might explore this would be most appreciated.

Jim Cooney

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drumboghill Townland, Iniskeel Parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
Jim,

There's a couple of McHugh families in Inishkeel in the 1901 & 1911 censuses. One in particular struck me as possibly being “your” John McHugh b 1872. The John McHugh in the censuses appears to have married a Bridget (Biddy) Conaghan around 1895 (they were married 16 years in the 1911 census). You’d need to get their marriage details to see if John’s father was also John McHugh. John McHugh is quite a common name so I'd be careful before jumping to any conclusions that is definitely the right one. You really need confirmation from another source.

They had at least 8 children. Might be useful if you can make contact with any McHugh’s in the area today and are trying to match up the two ends of the tree.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Inishkeel/Loconnell/1175272/

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Innishkeel/Laconnell/485867/

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline mmcpadden1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
In an effort to make contact you could advertise in the local paper circulating in that area,The Donegal Democrat. (Pier 1,Quay St.,Donegal Town.
Fax:  code +74  974 0160)Its free of charge if sent to Readers Letters.
On Donegal Genealogy Resources Web Site there is also a section where you can post a message, having gone to Parish of Iniskeel.It seems very active.
There you will also find the 2 census returns,which you have been told about  for Drumboghill townland.
There is also info.stating that if you are related to any of those families you may have your email attached by contacting the Moderator.
Hope this may be of some help.     
                                                  Maura

I am sorry but my email address is not working

Offline DonegalAncestors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I'm looking into O'Donnells also -a  James O'Donnell from Tarlagh son of Hugh O'Donnell (deceased) married Anne Breslin of Cashel on 7 February 1878 and went to live in Cashel.  I think he was some relation of my great great grandmother Biddy O'Donnell who married James McGill of Aighe - her marriage is too early to see on Civil registration website.  I cannot trace any relations for her.

Does this fit in with any information you have?

DonegalAncestry

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at Parish records??

I think  https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1009  Kilteevogue is the correct one
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 18 08:22 BST (UK) »
sorry wrong one!!   ;D  and your parish starts too late
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.