Author Topic: Joseph Armistead  (Read 20897 times)

Offline cass2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Armistead
« Reply #36 on: Monday 20 September 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Here is a little more info about Wilson Armistead's side of the family.
Wilson married Mary Bragg in 1814 their children were Joseph John who married Sarah Hotham in 1873.  Anthony Wilson who married Emma Chestine Kjoller after he had emigrated to NZ.  Arthur Wilson who I know very little about.  Mary Louisa who married George Allen in 1878 and Sarah Maria who confused me no end when she married Anthony William Wilson in 1875.

I have assumed that Arthur remained in Scotland running the Solway Fisheries in J J's abscence until Wilson Hotham took it over.  I do not know how long the business remained in the Armistead family as the only thing I know about Wilson Hotham Armistead is that he was born in 1874 married Abigail Spencer Burtt in 1898 and invented a Salmon Fish Ladder, whether it was ever built anywhere I have no idea however it does look very much like the Salmon Ladder in Pitlochry.

I do not know JJ's 2nd son's birthday or what happend to him confusingly
also called Joseph John born in 1887 Scotland or of his sister Elizabeth H D E known as Ermyn born in 1890 Scotland

Cass

Armistead
Hotham
Webster
Tacey
Drake
Bigmore

Offline cass2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 20 September 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

I didn't know about the NZ board that may be very useful to me

Cass   ;D
Armistead
Hotham
Webster
Tacey
Drake
Bigmore

Offline RobertHolmes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Edward Armistead, Wilson's brother, his 1st wife was Elizabeth Sykes but she died (I believe in childbirth with Hannah Sophia) 20 Jan 1847.  On 14 Dec 1847 in Pontefract he married Sarah Anne Webster, younger sister of my gt-gt-grandfather Robert Holmes Webster.  They had 11 children, but 2 daughters called Fanny both died young, one in infancy, the other in childhood.  William apparently died at sea (he was a 2nd officer) aged c22.  One daughter married a Leeds artist Francis Sternberg, but he left her for Harriet Louise, the daughter of her sister !  Harriet's older brother William Armistead Sutcliffe, according to one of my contacts, married Mary Patchett twice - in 1903 he was in the army and failed to get his commanding officer's permission to wed, so married her again in 1905.  I wonder if the shame of it (!) was what caused him to change his name to Burton and flee to NZ ??

See PhpGedView for more details on the Armisteads...

Ian W

Offline Claire Glover

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 September 16 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am the great great granddaughter of JJ Armistead and today have been reading some of his books that he wrote about his time in Norway.  I also have diaries written by his granddaughter Dorothy about her time on the Red Cross boat travelling around Norway. 
I also have a visitors book that belonged to my Great Grandmother Juanita Litten nee Armistead (JJ Armistead's daughter) that also details the guests at a party held for JJ Armistead & Sarah Hotham Armistead's 50th Wedding Anniversary. 

Claire

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 09 October 16 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Joseph Armistead was well known, and (I think) still has at least one descendant in Dumfries.

He was a member and contributor to the DGNHAS  (natural history and antiquarian society)
see http://www.dgnhas.org.uk/ta_result.php