Author Topic: Joseph Armistead  (Read 20926 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Armistead
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 September 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
I think he went to Norway to live with a Quaker fishing community. See John Ormerod Greenwood, Quaker Encounters Volume II, p195 and JJ Armistead Piloted (london 1906) and Ten Years Near the Arctic Circle (1913).

Hi Lukekelly  :)

Which of the male Armisteads went to Norway?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 September 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Just to say that I'm not going to do anymore investigations until there is a response from cass2. it seems a bit daft to go on when the original poster hasn't come back to confirm or deny. She's not been on since posting her query so she's not seen all this and will need to spend some time reading it all.

It may be of use to others I suppose  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline lukekelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 September 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
JJ Armistead and his wife Sara

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 September 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
JJ Armistead and his wife Sara

thanks Steve  :)

I assume that that is Joseph John and Sarah  Hotham who both died in the Wells RD in 1929-1930.

The John H that some of the trees mention as born circa 1878 was a John Herbert who died Leeds in 1880 aged 1. I'm not sure that he's the son - unless anyone wants to buy the cert

Offline cass2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 September 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you.

I have quite a bit of info on the family.  JJ his wife Sarah and the 2 youngest children all went to Norway.  The book Piloted is definitely them.  Thanks for the marriage of Juanita as I did not have that.  The youngest daughter Elizabeth HDE Armistead was known as Ermyn and I know she got married in Norway to someone named Nilsen but apart from that I have no info about her.  The youngest son known as Mac went to America at some point to study theology with D.L. Moody in Chicago.  I can find no trace of him after that.  I am assuming that JJ and Sarah moved to Wells from Scotland as he had arthritis and it would be closer to his eldest daughter.  Why the Solway Fisheries ceased to be I do not know.  I have found evidence that his brother Arthur and then his son Wilson Hotham took over the business but have no idea what happened next.
Armistead
Hotham
Webster
Tacey
Drake
Bigmore

Offline cass2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget   :)

It seems a very long and complicated story about the change of business.  JJ's father Wilson was left the family business in Leeds but was more interested in abolishing slavery in the USA than taking care of business.  Wilson died in 1868 and JJ together with his brother Arthur worked day and night to rebuild the business.  However, JJ was only 20 and there was some complication with the will and everyone wanted their money back all at the same time so he decided to call it a day and sold up.  The mustard business was sold to JJ Colman in Norfolk (Yes, that Colman's) and they moved lock stock and barrel to Scotland.  He already had an interest in fish culture and had been running a successful business with a John Parnaby in Cumbria.  JJ's fish business was very successful and tavelled all over the world.  I have found mentions in Canada, USA, Ireland, Germany.  He not only sold the eggs/fry but fishing equipment as weel.  He also lectured in fish culture all over the world.  He is an extremely interesting character.

Hope this helps you with helping me.

Cass2
Armistead
Hotham
Webster
Tacey
Drake
Bigmore

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
It's an extremely interesting family. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on them as I've a great interest in the Rowntree Foundation, also Quakers. I think some of my research work was funded by them in the 1970s  :)

I've been thinking of investigating the people who were visiting them in the censuses - were the Cadbury family The Cadburys of chocolate fame?  and who were the Tandy family, etc.  Lots of interesting avenues to explore  :)

Gadget

Offline cass2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget   :)

I have just found out that Joel Cadbury was married to Sarah's older sister Maria so that would make her a Hotham before her marriage.

I would like to find out more about the other side of the Armistead family following down on Edward's side. (Wilson Armistead's brother).  He had a huge family.  His first wife appears to have died in childbirth having Hannah Sophia and he was remarried very quickly to Sarah Ann Webster, their first child, Joseph, was born 1949 in Cincinatti, Ohio but was classed as a British subject.  His first wife Elizabeth Sykes was a minor on the marriage cert. (not sure what age this was but presumably under 18).  Cannot trace her as there are loads in Leeds, her father was John and was a Clothier but that is all I know.   Edward must have benefited from the sale of the family business (i.e. JJ and Arthur) which was not only mustard manufacturers but also brush manufacturers.  Edward was retired by the age of 48. (Lucky him)

Cass2
Armistead
Hotham
Webster
Tacey
Drake
Bigmore

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 September 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

A minor would be under 21, I think it was 25 for the Royal Family! When did Edward marry Elizabeth?

Is this family the one that you found on the other thread - the one that Mum44 did quite a bit of work on?

It you could summarize what you have and don't have on them, it would help to avoid any duplication in searching.

Gadget