Author Topic: national insurance number  (Read 43852 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: national insurance number
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have added that 'my' 1952 one starts with a B  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I was born in March, yet mine is a D
My wifes is YL and she was born 1950  ;)
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Wonder if it's possible that a series would have been issued for a certain district rather than for all of U.K.?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
mine starts with m and finishers in c dob oct 1963
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Wonder if it's possible that a series would have been issued for a certain district rather than for all of U.K.?

That's probably spot on .... remember in the main we are talking about pre computerised databases and the only way they would have to prevent duplication would be to issue blocks to different area offices to allocate

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:03 BST (UK) »
i heard through the grapevine that when people filled in the draft regsitartion form (or whatever it was called sorry for being so vague)  in 1939 they were given a number which made up part of the person NI no.
so if the person NI no. is known they can be located on the form filled in in 1939
(confused?)

aplogies the above info. is wrong and thisis correct:
the 1939 National Registration which was a record of the civilian population as at 29th September 1939. The information gathered was used to provide ID cards for people during the war. Everyone was given a number. These numbers were later used as original NHS numbers.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
When I was issued with my National Insurance Number at the age of 17 I had to go to the local office to obtain it.  The card was preprinted or at least pre-completed with the number and I was issued with the next one from a pile.  This was the standard procedure in the 1950s and no-one had a number before they started work.

Thus the prefix letters of ZW bear no resemblance to my age and the numbers and final letter were just the next in sequence.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 September 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
I was only considering the numbers and not the letters of my NI number - the letters are YL, and I was born in 1949. Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline salmynka

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Lucy Fenton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 September 10 16:56 BST (UK) »

ADDED- don't forget that these are issued by government departments,so will naturally be as confusing as possible !

:( yes it seems all rather befuddling!
ENGLAND Mitchell (London), Walker (Pirton, London & Cornwall) Fenton (Shefield) Simmonite & Rhodes (Yorkshire) Kevern (Cornwall)