Author Topic: JOHN BOWEN BORN WORCESTERSHIRE ENGLAND  (Read 2584 times)

Offline LindyLou65

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
JOHN BOWEN BORN WORCESTERSHIRE ENGLAND
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 17:10 BST (UK) »
Can some kind person do a look up for John Bowen born Stourport Worcestershire England born around 1839
Believed to have gone to USA (Boston) during 1881-1900
He was a carpet weaver and was living in Kidderminster Worcestershire in the 1881 census but not there in 1891 but his wife and family were and his wife was down as still married not widowed.
On my Grandmothers marriage certificate of 1900 he was down as deceased and Jane his wife was down as widowed in 1901 census.
They was a story from my Grandmother that her father went to Boston USA with one of her sisters.
Any help would be gratefully received
Thank You
Linda
HUNT,BOWEN,THOMPSON,BURFORD,BARTLETT,SMITH, TAYLOR,HASKOW,POYNER,BAGLEY,GRAY,HARPER,
CHANCE,GRIFFTHS,

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN BOWEN BORN WORCESTERSHIRE ENGLAND
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 19:21 BST (UK) »
If John Bowen really was dead by 1900 then he will not appear on an American federal census. These censuses were taken every 10 years, but the 1890 census was completely destroyed by a fire. On the 1900 census there is only one John Bowen born England (U.S. censuses only give country of birth not place). He was living in Boston, but he was born circa 1866.
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LindyLou65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.
Looks as though i will have to keep wondering about this one

Linda
HUNT,BOWEN,THOMPSON,BURFORD,BARTLETT,SMITH, TAYLOR,HASKOW,POYNER,BAGLEY,GRAY,HARPER,
CHANCE,GRIFFTHS,

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 April 05 07:26 BST (UK) »
Do you know anything about the realtive he emigrated with?
Valda

Offline LindyLou65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure which sister it would have been
i know there was an older sister called Sarah/Clara Bowen born in Birmingham England around 1862 and she doesn't appear after the 1881 census but she could have married after this
The other sisters Alice (1870)and Ellen known as Nellie(1867) born Kidderminster appear in the 1891 census and 1901 census for England.Though Nellie doesn't appear in 1881 census with the rest of the family.
There were also sons George(1876) who i know stayed in england and Frank (1872)who i believe worked on the railways in Kidderminster though i cant find him after 1891
My Grandmother Esther was born 1880 and stayed in Kidderminster until she married my Grandad in 1900 and moved to Aston Birmingham England

Thanks
Linda
CHANCE,GRIFFTHS,

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 05 11:02 BST (UK) »
I think maybe Sarah and Clara are two different sisters. The ages on the censuses are different. Possible candidates in the birth registration in Birmingham from FreeBMD are Sarah Jane Bowen in 1860 and Clara Bowen in 1862.
A Sarah Jane Bowen married in Kidderminster in 1882 to either Henry Burgin or John Peters Smith.
On the 1891 census RG12 2312 folio 62, Sarah J Smith aged 30 born Birmingham is with her husband John Peter Smith aged 30 born Kidderminster plus their son William aged 7 born Kidderminster.
Clara if she was a different sister seems more difficult to track.
Regards
Valda

Offline LindyLou65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 April 05 22:34 BST (UK) »
Yes you are right,i have now found Clara living with her Grandparents in the 1871 census in Hartletbury Worcestershire age 9 years whilst Sarah is living at home with her parents aged 10 and Ellen (Nellie) living as a servant in the 1881 census,but cannot find what happened to Clara after 1881 and wondered was she the sister who went to USA with her father John Bowen
Another mystery for the time being
Thanks for your help
Linda
CHANCE,GRIFFTHS,