Author Topic: 1851 Census Tonbridge JOY family  (Read 11590 times)

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Tonbridge JOY family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
There were 3 girls Dolly,Megan and Betty.Harold and Alice lived in Paddock Wood near the station.I suppose Dorothy could have been known as Dolly although my mum(91) is called Doll by her sisters,her real name is Doris!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Barbara,
I see you also have a Larkin family.One of Alice's brothers Amos Watkins married Jemima Elizabeth Larkin in Tonbridge.

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 January 06 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bulsara
I think Dorothy was very likely to have been known as Dolly.
Thanks for the information about Jemima Larkin but I don't think she is one of mine.
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 January 06 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Adi
I have looked at my papers but do not seem to have anything on your family.  Sorry.
Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline adijoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 January 06 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara , thanks for looking  ;)
Primary Interests:
Joy, Rapley, Felgate, Gosling, Roker, Gadd, Skilton, Blundell, Haybittle, Ruddle.

Offline Kerijo999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara. I've only just found this site and registered today!
Re the Joy family from Paddock Wood.
Harold was Harold Gladstone Joy who married Alice Clara Joy.
It is correct that they had 3 children, Dolly (WAS Dorothy and died aged 12 from Diabetes), Megan (Married a James Dungate) and Betty Lucy Jane (married William Johnson from East Peckham).
Betty & William (Bill) had 2 Sons, Michael ("Mike" born 1942) and Keith (born 1950).
I am that Keith and together with my brother we are trying to piece together as much as possible of our family tree - don't have much yet and I can't get to the local sites of information (i.e. Parish Churches, etc.) because I now live in Yorkshire, Mike married a Barbara and now lives in East Sussex. For some reason mum didn't know many details about her dad's family but did manage to remember the names of her 10 uncles & aunts on her mother's side (I'm not certain that all are correct though). I can give you a list if that would be of any use in cross referencing. [I have in my possession a Bible given to Betty in memory of her sister Dorothy]. It would be very nice to hear from you and find out where you fit into the family. I can confirm that my grandparents did live near the station, actually in Station Road in one of a pair of houses (that still stand and are lived in) called Forge Cottages - that was where I was born. There was another Joy family in Commercial Road, Paddock Wood, but they are not related - All I know about them is that the father was called Billy and was a "Snob" (shoe repairer) and about the same age as my parents.
Joy, Johnson, Watkins

Offline Kerijo999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bulsara. As can be seen from my post to Barbara, I am new here.
If you have read that post please do so as you might find some new info there.
I would love to know which of my grandmother's brothers is your grandfather - my mother was not the sort to keep in touch with family. Her attitude was "they don't contact me why should I contact them and I told her literally hundreds of times that they are probably feeling the same, especially as many had been in touch but she didn't bother to reply! So, we have very little information about her father's family and not a great deal more about her mother's family. She did tell me that Charles had a son called Douglas who had a daughter called Cheryl and my brother seems to remember that Tom had 3 daughters. One of the boys married (unknown wife) and had at least 2 daughters; Vera and Hilda. Hilda married a William Jones and they had 2 sons, William and Michael. William married twice but only had children from the first marriage. I do not know anything about Michael yet but my brother (also Michael) is in contact with him. It would be great to get in direct contact to share any other info. I could also put you and Barbara in contact with my brother. All for now. I hope to hear from you soon.
Joy, Johnson, Watkins

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith and welcome to Rootschat.

It is good to find another Joy researcher :)

I will look at my tree and check exactly how my family fits with yours, I know it is not a very close relationship but we do connect - somewhere in the 1700s I think!

In the meantime it would be advisable to take out the names of living people from your posts.  Those details are best shared privately.

Have to go out shortly but will get back to you later today I hope.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,It's a long time since I was on this site.My grandfather was Thomas Elon Adulphus Watkins.He married twice his first wife died leaving him with 2 small daughters my mum Doris and her sister Hilda.He had 2 more daughters with his second wife Vera and Joan.