Author Topic: 1851 Census Tonbridge JOY family  (Read 11745 times)

Offline Kerijo999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Tonbridge JOY family
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.
It's nice to know that there are still some of the family out there.
I have a photo of 2 of the girls but can't remember for certain which they are (I think Hilda and Vera).
If you wish I can let you have my direct email address, unless you can get it from my profile pages. Brilliant to hear from you though and I'll let my brother know about this site so he can join in too. He's going to start some local searching after Christmas so he might come up with something useful. Also my daughter (I have 2 girls and a boy) works in the Tunbridge Wells Register Office and I'm trying to get her to look up some info too. Anything I find I'll pass it on, just in case you don't have it. Thanks for the extra info. It would be nice to keep in touch (unlike my mother did). Take care and stay well. Best Wishes, Kerijo999.
Joy, Johnson, Watkins

Offline bulsara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Would like to see the photo.

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

According to my records Harold had 10 siblings so that accords with your mother's memory. Wouild be a good idea to check our lists.

Harold was the son of Albert Joy and Sarah Sanders.
Albert was the son of Alexander Joy and Elizabeth Underdown
Alexander was the son of Alexander Joy and Elizabeth Warrener
Alexander was the son of William Joy and Sarah Playfoot/Splayfoot and the brother of William Joy who was my 5 x great grandfather.

I have  a variety of details about these people eg baptisms, burials, marriage information, census.  let me know what you are looking for and I will try to help.

In the meantime I realise I have not updated this part of my Joy tree for some time so I have some work to do!

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spirap82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 07 December 14 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My name is Anthony Joy, my father was Gordon Dumbrell Joy of Paddock Wood he was born in about 1916/17 is now deceased.
I too am trying to put together some family history. At the moment I have no info on the recent years i.e. late 1800's up to present. Albert (Bert) Joy, Cyril Joy, Molly Joy, Patrick Joy rings  a bell, these are some names that spring to mind. My father once told me that Harold Joy who ran Paddock Wood post office was the son of one of his brothers. At the moment I have a fairly blank canvas and I would like to put some colour on it.
Any info would be helpful.

Anthony

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 December 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anthony and welcome to Rootschat. :)

Seems all the Joy family is surfacing!

Were your grandparents William Edwin Joy and Louisa Kate Dumbrell?  If so, I do have information on your family.  Let me know what you have already and what you are now looking for.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline spirap82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 08 December 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbara
How nice it is to hear from you, they were my fathers parents and maybe when I was very young I did meet them at Paddock Wood, either in Commercial Road or Old Kent Road where they had their family living with them and also in some houses which I believe were built by the family.

I am now 68yo and would like to know more about the relatives. As I recall we were never a close knit family on our side but our roots are all in Paddock Wood/Brenchley.

I would be very pleased to know what info you may have as I have none at the moment and I consider myself to be a computer illiterate so it is going to be a very slow process for meto collect and collate the info.

All help is welcome.

Regards

Anthony

Offline spirap82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 December 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Barbara
There was something that I remember, my father said that he had a brother lost in WW1 even before my father was born, and I believe that the brother may have been below the age requirements then to go to war!

It's all such a long time ago and it's not easy remembering things. I guess I would like to work backwards from now.

Regards

Anthony

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 December 14 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Anthony.

Always best to work backwards from something you definitely know to be true!

So,  starting with the death of your father, his death registration gives the following information

Gordon Dumbrell Joy

Birth Date:11 Feb 1916
Date of Registration:Oct 2004
Registration district:Kent
Register Number:KDC3
District and Subdistrict:564/1C
Entry Number:291

Birth dates and ages given at death can be inaccurate as they are dependant on what the person registering the death knows.  In this case if we look for a birth registration we find

Births Mar 1916   
Joy  Gordon D  Dumbrel  Tonbridge  2a 1517

Dumbrel is the maiden name of the mother.  Maiden names of mothers are shown on birth indexes from the September Quarter 1911.  Tonbridge is the Registration District, 2a the volume and 1517 the page number.  This reference enables the certificate to be located  by the GRO.  Note that March 1916 relates to births registered in January, February and March 1916.

A good free site for finding birth, marriage and death registrations is

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

You might want to try searching that site for surname Joy and mother's maiden name Dumbrel/ Dumbrel to find some of the siblings of Gordon.

You are right that one of Gordon's brothers died in WW1.  Have a look at this entry on another excellent free site

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/57562/JOY,%20HARRY%20JAMES

When you start researching your family it is a good idea to collect together as many pieces of information as possible from family members including birth, marriage and death certificates.  Have you subscribed to any family history research sites?  Once you are back to 1911 the 10 yearly censuses are excellent for furthering your research.

Finally (for now) I have death dates for William Edwin Joy on 1 March 1936 and for his wife Louisa Kate on 3 January 1944.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline spirap82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 08 December 14 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Barbara

Thank you so much for what you are doing for me.
I have not yet subscribed to any site at the moment, but I shall do so in the New Year as I will be convalescing from an operation and will have a lot of time to start my research in earnest.

I shall visit the sites you have mentioned and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Anthony