Author Topic: Pwllgwaun Field  (Read 2907 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pwllgwaun Field
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all. Researching my family tree, in particular my great grand father Thomas Lewis. He was born in 1880 i think, in Penycoedcae nr Pontypridd. I have found a 1881 census listing a Thomas Lewis residing in Pwllgwaun Field. Now i know of Pwllgwaun in Pontypridd but not Pwllgwaun Field. I'm assuming that the place may now not exist. So could any of the local Pontypridd history buffs/experts please tell me if they know of this place, a reference to an old map maybe, and the exact location. If Pwllgwaun Field is indeed located in the Penycoedcae area, i can almost confirm the previously mentioned 1881 census for my great grandfather. Any help would be most grateful
Parker

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pwllgwaun Field
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you don't get info from a rootchatter contact Pontypridd Library they do have maps of the area for that date.
I know that in that area the merthyr to cardiff cannal passed through, and that area leads up to Cilfynydd
cheers cardiff :)
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, i will certainly persue your recommendations regarding Pontypridd library.
Many Regards.
Parker

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Suggestion find your man on the 1881 census and check neighbouring houses for change in their address this may well give us a chance to see what street/ road or house is next to it.
easier to go up and down on www. familysearch.or
 1881 census Rg11 5297/96/25
cheers cardiff
 I realise my mistake that pwllgwaun is the other end of pontypridd exit Pontypridd to the rhondda and is over the Merlin bridge
PS
I think Pwllgwaun Fields became Pwllgwaun Road If you find out please let me know ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 September 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
draigcelt,
if you want to see Pwllgwaun as/where it was in 1885 go to

www.british-history.ac..uk/mapsheet.aspx
click on Ordnance Survey 1;10,560
Click on Glamorganshire (51)
Find grid no 28 (2 squares below Merthyr Tydfil) and click on

Ponty's towards the bottom of the map. Position cursor westside/Hopkinstown side of town. This is Pwllgwaun. Click on for enlarged view. It's a large open area between the the Town and Gelli-wion Woods. No mention of Field. On a modern map the same area comes up as Maes y Coed. Maes y Coed is one of the addresses listed with Pwllgwaun Field on the 1881 Census.

Wonder if the "Maes" links to your "field"?

Pencoedcae can be found on  grid no 36.

regards

Offline Greygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 September 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
Pwllgwaun and Penycoedcae are very close to one another - probably within a mile. Pwllgwaun is at the bottom of the mountain with Maesycoed above it, Graig to the left of Maesycoed (as you look at the hillside) and Penycoedcae at the top of the hill above the Graig. Quite a large part of Maesycoed is made up of an estate of modernish houses whereas the lower part of the moutainside nearest the valley floor is full of terraces of miners houses. My money would be on Pwllgwaun Field being where Maesycoed is today, and Penycoedcae is pretty much within spitting distance of Pwllgwaun (particularly if you are spitting downhill with a following wind!)
Lloyd (Ystumtuen, Llanfihangel y Creuddyn) Powell (Rhondda, Merthyr Tydfil, Llanspyddid) Yearsley (Monmouth, Ruardean) Faust (Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund & Waltersbrück/Bischhausen) Führen (Eschweiler, Duisburg and Kranenburg/Grafwegen)

Offline ruchca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
I agree with greygirl, she described it perfectly, and Maes means field, and I think the Llantrisant parish borderd on the edge of Pwllgwaun, not forgetting those days there wern't many houses about, and looking at the addresses on previous census pages, these could be your ancestors
CARTER PAULTON SOMERSET, HARDWICK LLANBISTER RADNOR,  KING ALTON PRIORS WILTSHIRE, THOMAS LLANBEDR MERIONETH,

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 June 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,
              Further research on this subject has brought me to the conclusion that Pwllgwaun Field is located in the area occupied by Pwllgwaun Road, Vaughan Street and Sheppard Street etc. running along the Rhondda River. My source is a Newspaper article from 1888, where a John Pugh writes a letter of complaint about the building of the Merlin Pub on Pwllgwaun Fields, The Merlin Pub (which I know very well) is situated on Pwllgwaun Road.(https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3810243/3810248/49/Mr.%20Evan%20Thomas)
 Thanks for all your replies of help and this subject is now closed, Many Regards.
Parker