Author Topic: Tolka Cottages, Drumcondra, Dublin  (Read 17635 times)

Offline Harry1968

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tolka Cottages, Drumcondra, Dublin
« on: Friday 17 September 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am new to Roots Chap.  This is my first post.

Would anybody know when Tolka Cottages in Drumcondra, Dublin,  were built.

I know they appear on the 1911 Census for Dublin, but they do not see to appear on the 1901.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Tolka Cottages, Drumcondra, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 September 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that it's the same location as the 1911 census but there's a Tolka Cottages near Finglas ... based on the OSI maps these were definitely not present in the 1890s, so built sometime after that see : Tolka Cottages, Finglas  (press 1 for the modern map, 8 for the 1890s map)

The streets listed in the Drumcondra DED along with Tolka Cottages on the 1911 look to be located a bit to the east of this... so maybe there was another location of the same name ? 

Sometimes newer cottages are listed on the 1901 census under temporary names - like UDC or township cottages etc, or just included as part of the existing road they were off.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Harry1968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 September 10 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane,

Unfortunately, I do not think these are the ones I am looking for.  The Tolka Cottages in Finglas are sometimes confused with the ones in Drumcondra.

The Drumcondra cottages were pulled down circa 1950 due to persistent flooding problems in the area.

They once stood on and near the green area adjacent to Tolka Bridge and Fagans Pub (Botanic Road). This area was recently restored and the original statue of Ave Maria (statue of Mary) reinstated.

Locally they were known as Tolka Cottages.  My grandmother was born into the cottages in 1925 and remained there until their closure, but unfortunately she does not know when they were built - pre 1911

Harry1968

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 September 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
I had another look based on the approximate location you mentioned - and see the cottages shown on the 1890s OSI map, close to Fagan's  - see : Tolka Cottages, Drumcondra  (press 8 for the 1890s map).

Some buildings also appear at the same location on the the older 6" inch maps (1820s to 1840s) - but are unlabeled on these.

Doesn't explain why they dont seem to be included on the 1901 census - possibly one of the streets yet to be filmed or maybe the occupants are included on the Botanic ave listing.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Harry1968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 September 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I had a look at the map again.  Thank you for the tip.  Those old maps are extraordinary.  I have already cross referenced with ancestor and other surnames in the area on the 1901 census with Glasnevin and Botanic, but to no avail.

It is worth noting the Cenus On Line already have a notice advising "missing data" for 1901 census.  I have other friends and colleagues who have similar problems in relation to misssing data between 1901 and 1911.  It seems to relate a lot to Drumcondra and Rural Drumcondra (Santry), North Dublin.

I will take a trip to Bishop Street (National archives) to view original microfilms in case not transferred to On Line resource.  Will check with Dublin Corporation to see when cottages were built.

Thanks again,

will keep you posted.

Harry   :)

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 September 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
Harry,

It's very likely you'll have to go to the original paper returns.
I had a similar problem with Cappoquin in Waterford and it turned out that the Mormon church missed a book of returns for the town and it was never microfilmed.  The NA are planning to scan all of these outstanding ones but it's going to take time.  I noticed the problem over a year and wrote to them about it, still not rectified.

Purpeller
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire

Offline Harry1968

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 September 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank You Purpeller,

I think we have all come to expect "instant" images of these records on our computer screens.

Having managed to secure and view 8 key surnames of my ancestors on the 1911 census on line it was disappointing only to find 3 of them on the 1901.  I know these ancestors were in the same general area in 1901 from birth certs, marriage certs etc, but nevertheless it was a bit frustrating not to find them in 1901 on line.  Santry, Balrothery and Swords seem to have huge gaps from the hard data.

Harry

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 September 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Just doing this from memory but as far as I can remember Tolka Cottages were at the end of Botanic Avenue and part of the complex where Lemon's Sweets factory was.

If you were going down Botanic Avenue towards Drumcondra you get to T junction with Fagan's Pub on your right, they would have been on the left.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline anchor4208

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,
I can't verify when they were actually built, but the Tolka Cottages you refer to were definitely around in the 1860s.  If you do a search by location on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ for 'tolka cottages', you get a number of records from that era, including one for my great great great grandfather.
I did a bit of googling about Tolka Cottages a number of months ago.  They're referred to in a book called 'James Joyce's Dublin', because apparently, the great man comments on them (although not by name) in 'Portrait of the Artist ...'.
Ruth/Routh/Roth
Glendon
Maher
Mahony/Mahoney
Brady
Treacy/Tracey
Hanna
Duff