Author Topic: Tolka Cottages, Drumcondra, Dublin  (Read 17622 times)

Offline Harry1968

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tolka Cottages, Drumcondra, Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Anchor,

Many thanks for your reply.  1860, wow.  I did not think they were built that far back.

I will have a look at the website later.

thanks again

Harry1968

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
My Mam was born in Tolka Cottages in 1927 and moved to Whitehall when she was about 12. Both sets of her grandparents were from the cottages. I found them on the 1911 census but there is no trace of either family on the 1901.  I have a copy of her grandparents marriage cert from 1902 showing them both as living there I reckon that the 1901 census returns for Tolka cottages were never digitalised. I have emailed the NAI to seek clarification and will let you know what they say. In the meantime, here's a link to a photo of the cottages that I found on dublin.ie (See post #28)
http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthread.php?14956-Tolka-Cottages/page3
Glover,Moriarty,Kennelly,Brosnan all based in Kerry.
Evans and Fitzpatrick in Dublin

Offline dc51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure of the relevance, but my father told me a story about talka cottages. He grew up nearby and an uncle of his hold him that the people who lived in the cottages all had the name of the fish in the river, pike, Salmon, Roche, etc... These families had come over from Britain as servents of the land owner probably some time in 1800s. any truth in it??   

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 12 23:24 BST (UK) »
I don't know about the 1800s but the 1911 census only shows 2 'fishy' names - Pike and Swan.
The cottages don't show up in the 1901 census but I think that it was enumerated but not digitalised

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 October 13 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have emailed the NAI about Tolka Cottages and since I got no reply I decided to go in and look at the film myself. I found Tolka Cottages on 1901 but guess what - my family weren't there :(
However there are 39 houses listed and the Heads of Households are :
Joseph McLoughlin
Thomas Kelly
Sarah McNeill
James Kelly
Christopher Harford
Andrew Fitzpatrick
Patrick Connor
Daniel Kinsella
Patrick Smith
Nicholas Barnwell
Frank McLoughlin
James Lynch
Bridget Graham
Michael Connor
Ellen Scully
Anne Drum
Catherine Nangle
Eliza McDonnell
Patrick Kenny
Kate Maher
James Byrne
Kate Kenna
Mathew James
John Caffery
William Marks
Margaret Lynch
John Rice
Patrick Carberry
Thomas Connor
Charles Boughton or Brughton
Thomas Cowley
John Hickey
William James
Richard Farrell
John Hughes
Thomas Davy
Patrick Finn
Peter Hanly
Bridget Malone.
These names might be of some use to someone else. Curiously, the enumerator had Tolka Cottages listed as being in the parish of St. George. My G Grandparents were living in the cottages in 1902 but the wedding cert is from Fairview (Church of the Visitation). Apparently Drumcondra was part of Fairview Parish from 1879. Prior to that it was Clontarf parish. I've had a search done for my G Grandfather's birth cert in Clontarf but no luck there. Anyone got any bright ideas ? Where would I find records for St George's ??

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 October 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
St George's is presumably the "Civil Parish" (St George's Church is in Temple St., no longer used as a church.).

You need to look at the R.C. parishes instead. (maybe he wasn't born/baptised in the Drumcondra or Clonfarf area.)
If you give us your Gt Grandfather's name we could search for him.

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 October 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eadaoin,
He was Michael Evans, he married Hannah Fitzpatrick on 14 Sep 1902 at Church of the Visitation, Fairview. His parents are listed as James and Kate of 2 Tolka Cottages.
Michael appears on 1911 age 31, giving him a DOB c1880. Any help would be much appreciated.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Drumcondra/Tolka_Cottages/28304/

Offline janglover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 August 14 00:12 BST (UK) »
Months later and I am still no closer to finding Michael or Tolka Cottages on the 1901 census. I have emailed the NAI numerous times and am still awaiting replies. I am convinced at this stage that Michael's birth was not registered. I've checked all the possibilities at GRO and he is not there. The LDS site shows several prison records for Michael Evans of Tolka Cottages but according to my family. that is not him, it's a cousin. I've tried the Church of the Visitation, Fairview which apparently was the parish at the time. I got his marriage cert but no birth cert. I was told that Tolka Cottages previously belonged to St. John's parish, Clontarf. Their records are not at NLI and I'm having difficulty getting a search done.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Has anyone had any luck viewing paper census returns for Tolka Cottages at NAI ?

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 August 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed the Eloctoral Rolls ie Michael Evans 1908 C in rere of Tolka Cottages possibly another address to look for and on Irish Genealogy some of the addresses for Tolka Cottages give Corry or Cony Lane which i believe is actually Coady or Cody Lane.

Edit my ancestors the Dingles lived in Coady lane and most were baptised in St Michan's.