Author Topic: Cemetries in Borris-in-Ossory  (Read 5619 times)

Offline stepandr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemetries in Borris-in-Ossory
« on: Saturday 18 September 10 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

I am hoping to travel to Borris over the next week or so to try and locate the burial place of my great grandmother. Her name was Sarah Jane Grimes nee Pratt and she died in the district hospital in Abbeyleix in 1926. She was originally from Sentry Hill in Borris in Ossory so I am guessing that she is buried there. Would anyone know what cemetries I should be looking in? Are there many and if so where might be a good starting place?

Appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Steve.

Offline jjjj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetries in Borris-in-Ossory
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
cemetries in borris  that are nearest to sentry hill are Knockaroe. Knockseera. Killasmeestia. Skirk. and Kyle . Also try Aghaboe as Borris in ossory used to be in Aghaboe parish until the 1850s . the first two  are the nearest in distance to Sentry hill but i know of at least one family from Sentry hill who are buried in Skirk .

Offline stepandr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 September 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help - ill visit those over the next couple of weeks hopefully will find what I am looking for.

Offline stepandr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help on this - I have since travelled to Borris and checked out the recommended graveyards. Unfortunately I didnt have much luck although to be honest I did not expect to. I suspect that my great grandmother may have been buried in an unmarked grave. At the time of her death at Abbeyleix general hospital her husband was dead and she had 2 small children. I doubt if there was much money around for a proper burial.

Does anyone know if there is a log kept of people buried in a graveyard? The person in question died in 1926 so its going back quite a bit. Appreciate any recommendations that might help me investigate further.

Thanks,
Steve.

Offline sunkeeper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried familysearch.org?  They have the civil records which might help plus the RCBL could have the registers for any of the churches in the area one of which might have performed the burial.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Cemeteries Registar Borris,

I will PM you the name and address of the Register for Borris-in-Ossory cemetery, and I'm sure he would have an idea who, locally, keeps records of all the cemeteries there.

Jack