Author Topic: Donaldson's of Thornhill  (Read 13648 times)

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson's of Thornhill
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 May 16 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think there may be a connection to my Donaldson's too!

Jane Donaldson was my great great grandmother, born in Thornhill. Her father was Henry Scotland Donaldson born 1807 in Carnock, Fife. Her mother was Catherine Kennedy. They married in Port of Menteith in 1832. The Port of Menteith OPR says "Henry Donaldson parishioner son of Donaldson Dunfermline and Catherine Kennedy daughter of John Kennedy from Carnock."

Jane had a brother called Henry born 1844 in Thornhill. I have details of the other siblings too. In 1841 the family lived in Shuttle Street in Thornhill.

It seemed unusual to me for such a couple as Catherine and Henry to have met and married, coming from places so far away from each other but I know it is correct from Jane's marriage cert and from her death cert.

Can anyone see a connection to their tree?

Val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Kirsty01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donaldson's of Thornhill
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 January 24 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this & I know it's years ago since these posts were put up. But I'm also related to you all
my 3rd great grandparents were James Donaldson & Janet McGregor. they were married in Kincardine on the 22-11-1846. their children were Margaret born 1849? Jane born 1850? James born 1852? Robert born 1854? John born July 1857, Henry born May 1860 & Janet born July 1862. I descend from Robert who married Mary McLay in Grangemouth on the 28-5-1878 their son James born 5-1-1882 was my great grandfather. I'm doing my family tree & have managed to go back to Robert Donaldson & Jean Campbell who married in Clackmannan on the 4-11-1798. But I can't find any birth or death details for Robert. I would be very keen to hear from anyone who is related.
Kirsty