Author Topic: David Walker Moody, New York  (Read 9787 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Walker Moody, New York
« on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about the family of  David Walker Moody who was  born in Ireland before 1821. I have tried various other forums over the years but always drawn a blank. Hopefully someone may be able to help trace the family. This is what I know.

David Walker Moody and his brother, William Moody, my great-grandfather, had connections with Co Londonderry, Northern Ireland. He and his brother went to America circa 1844. I know that William Moody was a member of the Mechanics Institute, City of New York in 1845. William returned to Ireland some time before 1858 and lived in Limavady, Co Londonderry but David Moody stayed in America.

David had two children that I know of, David William Moody and Gertrude who married someone by the name of Murl. They were both alive in the1880s when my great-grandfather wrote a draft will. In that he gives their names but unfortunately the draft just says 'currently residing in the United States of America'. David's wife was Elizabeth Corry who was from Armagh, Northern Ireland, where David and William were merchants in 1840. Eliza died at New York 15th Dec 1854 when she was described as wife of David W Moody, formerly of the Northern Bank.

I have found a Gertrude Moody in 1850 Census. Her calculated birthdate was given as 1848 and residence was given as Williamsburg, Kings, New York. In 1858 a Gertrude Moody, born New York, aged 22, is living in Michigan City, La Porte, Indiana. I would love to confirm if this is Gertrude Moody, David's daughter.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Walker Moody, New York
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Gertrude appears to be in the Home for the Aged and Orphans Church Charity Foundation in Brooklyn in the 1860 census.

The bride index at www.italiangen.org has a Gertrude Moody who married a Henry J. Merle on 6 Jan. 1877 in Kings Co.  Perhaps that's her?

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
What a quick response Thankyou so much. It looks as if this is Gertrude.

I have just found the whole family in 1850 Census.D. W. Moody was 31. Eliza, his wife was also 31. David the son was 4yrs and Gertrude was 2yrs. I have always suspected that David Walker Moody died in the 1950s. He was the eldest son and should have inherited. The family said my greatgrandfather returned to Ireland because of an unexpected legacy so it looks as if Gertrude was orphaned sometime before 1860. Do you know if any records exist for this home?

I have just realised I have made a mistake with where Gertrude was living in 1858. She was not living in Michigan City - wrong Gertrude.

I am now off to look at Gertrude's marriage. Thanks again for your help.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
 I may have found David Walker Moody in an online directory for New York 1852. The 1850 Census gives his occupation as 'artist'. The listing is as follows;
Moody David W, lithographer, r, 75 Nassau, h. Williamsburg

Just wondering what  the 'r' and 'h' stand for and if any other directories for New York exist for the years 1853 to 1860? These might help me pinpoint David W. Moody's death.

Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
R generally means 'resides' and H generally means 'home.' 

There's an 1859 New York City directory here and he doesn't seem to be in it - http://distantcousin.com/Directories/NY/NYC/1859/Pages.asp?Page=569

Google Books has a Trow's NYC directory from 1856.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks again shelleyesq. I'm new to American research and you have been very helpful. I now have a little more to go on.

What I find strange is that I expected to find my greatgrandfather in the 1850 Census so it looks as if he came back to Ireland much earlier than I had thought. I also have been unable to find David Walker Moody's son in the 1860 census. Perhaps he was taken in by a relative or another family.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
I may have found a death date for David Walker Moody but if this is the man I am looking for it is much later than I thought and throws up a lot of unanswered questions.

A David Walker Moody, aged 49, died 26 July 1870. The death was reported in the New York Herald on 28th July 1870.

Would anyone out there be able to access the actual death notice just in case there is any further information about this man?
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The death notice says he was in his 49th year (so aged 48) . Funeral from 2 Bedford Street.

"Guildford (England) and Montreal papers please copy"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Shaun. That at least gives an address.

I suppose the reference to Guildford and Montreal papers would imply that he had an association with these two places?

Simpson, Moody Co Armagh