Author Topic: The whys and wherefores of George Flemington  (Read 3542 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The whys and wherefores of George Flemington
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 20:54 BST (UK) »
I am getting pretty frustrated here.

I have in my Tree the following family

George Flemington born approx 1824 Martin Wiltshire

I am not sure exactly who George married first time around as on each census the name seems to change or is unreadable but I do know the bride was born in Long Crichell (not sure of spelling) Dorset abt 1821.

They had 8 children that I know of
Luke
Charlotte
John
Mary
Harry
Georgina
William
Emily

the first child was born Dorset the others Hampshire
I have George on all census exept 1841

A lady searched and could not see George in martin in 1841  but alas the copy of the Dorset Long Crichel (Crichton?) for 1841 was illegible

In 1851 George is living in Gussage Dorset but in Long Crichton there is a George Flemington also from Martin that I am hoping could be my Georges father

I have a gut feeling George was probably in Dorset by 1841 so I am hoping for maybe some help with accessing parish records for Martin Wiltshire to see if I can find his parents that way.

Alas so far I have been unable to find any cert ref that would help me pinpoint the wifes name or the parents

Its also possible he maried twice as the 1881 census gives yet another different wifes name but also the place of birth and age changes

Is there any one can help here please its driving me mad   :'(

I would be very grateful

Teresa

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The whys and wherefores of George Flemington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
 Hi Pigginnut....cheryle.f here...just going through 1841 census now and already found the following in Martin.(havent finished yet though but this looks promising!!!!

Henry Fleminton 35 Ag Lab born in this parish
                Mary Flemington35       not born in this parish
                George               8               born in this parish
                 Mary                  3               born in this parish
                 Cornelius          10months  born in this parish

And in another house

Issac flemington 20 Ag Lab

And in another...

Eliz Flemington   65

And in another...

William 40 Ag Lab
                Ann 40
                Frederick 15
                Sarah  11
                 Charlotte 5 all of this parish

I'm still looking so i'll keep you posted!!! regards cheryle.f         

mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
 Hi again teresa....this is the rest of the Flemingtons in Martin in 1841.

Corn Flemington  65

sep house...
               Luke Flemington 65 Ag Lab
               Sarah                  60
               Eliza                     20
               Stephen                15

sep house
               William Flemington 30 Ag Lab
               Charlotte                35
                Anne                      12
                Josiah                     10
                Emma                      8
                Mary                         6
                William                      3

sep house
               JAMES Flemington 25
               Eliza                       20
               Emily                       4
               Lydia                       2
               William                     ? months 

SEP HOUSE
               Reubin Flemington 30 Ag Lab
               Prudence 30
               William 5

And that is it i'm afraid...none of the other families have a George living with them but maybe some of these christian names will come to mean something to you one day soon....heres hoping! I'm in the same situation as you with my family and it drives me crazy sometimes. very best wishes cheryle.f.                   

mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Cheryle

My George is not amongst them but as you say at some point they may click into place so I am very grateful to you for the efforts.

I shalll print them out and keep them to hand

Thanks again
Teresa

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 23:07 BST (UK) »

Hi me again...do you have any idea of the date of birth of his first child? regards cheryle.f

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
 Hi me again...do you have any idea of the date of birth of his first child? regards cheryle.f

OOOPs!!!! as you can see it's way past my bed time ::)

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 23:40 BST (UK) »
 And from bdm all Flemington marriages between 1837 up to 1849 took place in one town and that was Fordingbridge. There  were 8 marriages two in the same year of 1845 of Georges but then in 1849....

Oct Nov Dec Quarter

George Flemington Wimbourne v111 215

I definately think he's your man!!!! I can go to sleep now.

regards cheryle.f  P.S. going by whats happened in my tree i wouldnt be surprised if  the two 60 year old flemingtons Luke and Corn were brothers and prob Eliz the widow of another bro. Henry aged 35 names his youngest son Cornelius(maybe after his father) and your George calls his son LUKE so maybe that is his father still in Martin and his mother maybe Sarah but if you look at Georges childrens names and the names of all the people still in Martin there is a slight pattern emerging!!!!!or maybe i am still mad and its all coincidence like it always turns out to be in my cases! best wishes cheryle ;D

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 05 00:23 BST (UK) »
I am totally confused now thanks Cheryle lol

I know his first son Luke was born Dorset abt 1850  but I still am inclined to believe that George is hi father

I have found a record of a George on family search whos birth is the right time and father is George he was also born Martin BUT it says Hampshire Not Wilts - this George also had a daughter Louisa

Interestingly I have Hampshire 1841 census but no Martin on it - so I am at a loss

I appreciate your efforts here thanks

Sleep well

Teresa

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 April 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
 I decided to have a quick look at this Wiltshire ,Hampshire thing and as i have the 1861 Hampshire i didnt think i would find anything puzzling!!!! I had read earlier that Martin is 8 miles west of Salisbury and when i looked at reg districts it looks on the maps like Martin is definately closer to Fordingbridge than to Salisbury. I was really just interested in why all those marriages i had found between 1837 and 1849 had taken place in Fordingbridge. On the 1861 Martin comes into the registrars district of Fordingbridge but Fordingbridge is in Hampshire for all census details. But then the last two villages on the 1861  going out of Hampshire and into Wiltshire are Damerham and Martin. I had a look through Fordingbridge and sure enough there are families of Flemingtons everywhere just like there were in Martin in 1841. One of them at least had a head of family called George age 39  Ag Lab born in Martin( Wiltshire) married to Mary Ann 37...son Frank 8(who was already a plough boy) and son R?land 5 all living in West Martin so this George was born app 1822. Others that i found had sons called George but obviously too young to be your George. But anyway i think that all this points to the two Martins being the same place.

The two Georges who married at Fordingbridge in 1845 incase they may still be yours were...

George Flemington married Oct/Nov/Dec 1845 Fordingbridge 8 323

George Flemington married Apr/May/June 1845 Fordingbridge 8 284A 

But just to narrow the search  down  even further the George who married Apr May June 1845 married Marianna White on 1 April 1845 in Martin Fordingbridge Hampshire.He could be the George married to Mary Ann  with son Frank and other son of 5. His parents were Thomas  40 and Honour(nee noble) 50, and they can all be found in the 1841 census with George in situ aged 15? and brothers Henry,Abraham and John, all in EAST MARTIN. I missed them last night! The other George who was christened in 1826 in Martin , mother and father were George and Harriet nee Garret with a daughter Louisa who was born Iwerene County Dorset in 1830 so if anyone with Dorset census for 1841 could look for a George and Harriett with a George (son )of 14/15 and Louisa 11 you may find them yet. Good HUnting and any more i can help you with just ask. cheryle.f