Author Topic: Which Site to Subscribe to now!  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Scanger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Site to Subscribe to now!
« on: Monday 20 September 10 14:40 BST (UK) »
I had been doing the family tree a few years ago and have started up again.  Since then there seems to be an awful lot of new sites set up to help you search.  I don't have much time to physically search so to speak so the internet is my best option.  However after having looked at enumerous different sites I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best site (if I'm allowed to ask) for searching pre 1837 records.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Which Site to Subscribe to now!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 September 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know that 2 of the popular* sites offer 2 week free trials; very useful to be able to "try before you buy".

*FindMyPast and Anc***ry

Several English counties now have OPC sites (online parish clerk) with a variety of records.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
Scanger - as you mention pre-1837 - I find it really depends on the area you're looking at. Ancestry have digitised much of the London Metropolitan Archives material for example, while FindMyPast have good coverage on some counties & virtually nothing on others. The Genealogist also cover parish registers. As Nanny Jan says there are now several OPC sites (free) & there is also FreeReg, and the various versions of FamilySearch. You may find that you're looking at an area with poor coverage & get better value from CDs (or other forms) of transcribed records available often from the county FHS.
It really does "all depend"!

Offline Scanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I think for the moment I want to concentrate on my London/Middlesex/Bedford families - all pre 1837. I used to have a sub with ancestry.co.uk and could prob. crank that one up again.  Just wondered if there any specific sites that had leanings towards parish records which had popped up in the last few years.

Offline Scanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
Have just tried the free trial with The Geneologist with no successes even with 'known information'  can only assume I 'm probably doing something wrong.  I have only got 14 credits left and had 'sorry no records' for everything I've looked up  :( I'd forgotten how disappointing this game can be sometimes.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Have just tried the free trial with The Geneologist with no successes even with 'known information'  can only assume I 'm probably doing something wrong.  I have only got 14 credits left and had 'sorry no records' for everything I've looked up  :( I'd forgotten how disappointing this game can be sometimes.

What sort of searches are you doing on The Genealogist ?  With all genealogy sites, the motto has to be "Less is more" - start with only the barest of details, and only add more if you get too many matches.  Unfortunately, all the different sites have their good and bad points.  I find the "House & Street" searches and "Keyword Master Searches" on The Genealogist are really useful, but if I were to be searching for deaths, then I would head straight to Ancestry.  And of course, for the 1911 census, you need FindMyPast !  :)

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 September 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
I use The Genealogist - good for non-conformist records esp in London and wills proved before 1858, especially those proved at Canterbury.  The censuses are ok, except the usual heavy scattering of mistranscriptions.  I agree with Nick, it's good for searching particular addresses but no good if you have the census folio/page reference only as you can't just enter the reference anywhere to find a record.  The Genealogist is much cheaper than Ancestry and more personal if you have to contact them.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Scanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I have learnt something already - plus looking at the batches on IGI - not sure why I haven't used it before.  It looks like Fleet Street was a hotbed of Yates' for about 60 years.  Also within close vicinity to other Yates' I have confirmed as relatives of mine.  I don't want to jump to conclusions but I would guess that there's a very good chance that they are all related.  It's not a very common name in London as far as I can see.