Author Topic: The surname AGAMBER  (Read 12743 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The surname AGAMBER
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Ashely

As you can see from my tag a fair lot of my own were Huguenots in London, and I have researched around  60-80 other Huguenot families in London's East End besides, as it is a real interest of my own. Through my own link to the family, the Agombars were one of the earliest I researched, a good 4 years ago, as a contact who helped me starting out was on that line, and she had done a great deal of research. I later checked out and verified it myself as correct.

The later English info comes from a mix of the English parish registers and the transcribed registers of the Huguenot churches made by the Society of GB and Ireland. (The info that Pierre and his parents came in November 1685, relates to them joining the Threadneedle Street Huguenot Church in London at that time, with a paper testimony from their pastor in St Quentin). A few of their family were also inmates of the French Hospital London, and confirm the line back to Broncourt, St Quentin, Picardy, so it is well established and researched.

The earlier French info comes from the existent protestant records for St Quentin. This covers roughly the period from the Edit of Nantes in 1598 which gave Protestants a civil status in France, to the Edit of Fontenbleau, which then revoked it again, in October 1685. This also explains why they fled at exactly that time. Other members of their family are in the Catholic Register, the same month, in their village Brancourt, being forced to 'abjure their heresy' and become  nouveaux convertis. Jacob and his wife obviously chose to flee instead of this. Those who stayed, including Jacobs sister, later fled too about 5 years on (perhaps they inititially thought the persecution might blow over). They went to Holland, settling in Haarlem. Jacobs sister and her husband Daniel Le Beau, later moved on again from there, in 1702, to London, with my ancestors the Deverduns. Daniel and Magdelaine were godparents to many of their children here in London. 

I've not personally researched the Manchee family but I do know it is also a very well researched family, and I think several decendants of that family have been high up and well involved in the Huguenot Society over past 100 years. If you are researching them too might be well worth getting in contact with them.

Regards

Richard
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~manchee/manchee/295.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~manchee/exodus.htm

Couple of pages on Sarah Manchee, and the wider Manchee family there. The reverend William Henry Manchee is the man I was thinking of, very active in the Huguenot Society in the early 20th century, and his son and grandson after him were members on the council  I believe.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Just to add, looking through the French Hospital records, one of Temperence's grand daughters applied:

Elizabeth Bennett (wife of William Randall) born Oct 4 1806 37 Hare Street, Bethnal Green, daughter of Thomas Bennet and Temperence Arrowsmith. Temperence Arrowsmith, daughter of Temperence Agombar. Applied to French Hospital London June 1 1877. Was not admitted being in reciept of other charity, and 'stone deaf'.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 September 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Richarde

Thanks again for all of the information - it is remarkable stuff.

The chap who has Manchee heritage also has Lefever heritage - I am sure you are aware of them.

I've found the Pierre Agombar marriage at Stepney St Dunstan but I can't find the Jacques / Judith marriage at that church at all - do you know where it took place?

Many thanks

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daybreak18463

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just discovered this page and have found out more in ten mins than i have in months and months about my ancestors. James Arrowsmith and Temparance Agombar are my 6 x great grandparents. Their son William married Sarah Trenell they had a son William who married Susan Sargeant, they had a son William who married Grace Wales and they had a daughter on some records she is shown as Lydia Grace and on others Grace Lydia. At the young and tender age of 17 she fell pregnant and then married my great great grandfather Charles Pickett. She gave birth to a little boy named Charles but it had been a long and difficult birth and later that day she had fits and later died. Her husband did continue to bring up their child and later had a relationship with a woman called Catherine.( she is down as his wife 10 years later but i can find no records of a marriage) Young Vharles married Nellie Hurcum and they had a son called John Henry. John Henry married Florence Barnes and they had a son John Edward Pickett..... my dad.... Most of my direct descendants did not make old bones and finding out any history has been really hard. So thank you everyone. Thank you very much and if anyone has anyother info I would be more than grateful.
Good luck

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 October 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
No records found on the Office of National Statistics website in 2002 for any of the quoted spellings. This means either that the surname was absent in England and Wales , or there are less than 5 people with it.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 October 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
Actually the proper spelling Agombar is still quite common in the East End and Essex. I think 'Agambar', as a spelling variant, was short lived. The Agombars were one of the more prolific East End Huguenot families, and I have often bumped into their decendants!

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 October 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
"I can't find the Jacques / Judith marriage at that church at all - do you know where it took place?"

Just realised I overlooked Ashley's question above on this thread...The marriage took place St Botolphs, Aldersgate, London City. Actual entry reads " James Agombar and Judah (Judith?) Flovan, Both of this Parish, Married by Banns, By Mr William Freeman, Curate, June 19th 1730"

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 October 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Richarde

Many thanks for the additional information.  I;ve been working on Judith's line and she was the daughter of Jacob Flavans and Susanne Wilbeau.  Jacques was baptised in Amderdam the son of Antoine Flavan and Rachel Muteaux.  Antoine and Rachel moved to London in time for the birth of their last child, Jeanne, in 1682.

Jacques and Susanne married at Stepney Dec 1702, and had their first child in Bethnal Green,  They then seem to have gone to Amsterdam as Abraham (1708), Jean Philippe (1710), Jacques (1714), and Marie (1716) were all born there before Ester (1718) was born back in Bethnal Green.

Have you any idea why there was all this toing and froing from Amsterdam??

Cheers

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk