Author Topic: The Amalgamated Chimney Sweepers Society  (Read 1853 times)

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
The Amalgamated Chimney Sweepers Society
« on: Wednesday 22 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any records on the above society as I have just got a book called British Chimney Sweeps by Benita Cullingford and it mentions this society which was started by Manchester and Salford Chimney Sweeps.
Acording to the book the society took part in the City Trades Procession on Saturday 15th Sept 1877.

I have emailed Working Class Movement Library, Salford Local History Library, Manchester County Records Office and Chethams Library to see if they have any information.

Can anyone else point me in the right direction or have anymore information?

Cheers
Suzanne
Dawson, Lewis, Hughes, White, Kirk, Garthwaite, Topping, Hall, Russell, Heap, Rowley, Barlow, Devonport, McCluskey

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
Re: The Amalgamated Chimney Sweepers Society
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Just got a response from Chethams they don't have anything :(

Dawson, Lewis, Hughes, White, Kirk, Garthwaite, Topping, Hall, Russell, Heap, Rowley, Barlow, Devonport, McCluskey

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 September 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Just got a reply from the Working Class Movement Library no luck there either!!!  :-\

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 September 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
From the online newspaper archive (via Lancashire library card):

Huddersfield Chronicle & West Yorkshire Advertiser
Saturday 13 Jan 1877 issue 2945, page 5
"A meeting of the London & Provincial Amalgamated Chimney Sweep Association was held at the Grosvenor St Temperance Hall, Manchester, on Saturday evening. Mr Green, president of the  Manchester branch of the Association, in the chair.  The following gentlemen were present as delegates: Mr T Kingsbury, president and Mr E F Duffin, chief secretary, London Association; Mr G Whitehead & Mr T Whitehead, Liverpool; Mr Dean, Rochdale; Mr Holland, Macclesfield; Mr Dunn, Hyde; Mr Bradley, Eccles; Mr Clark, Huddersfield; Mr Campbell, Hyde and other members...[short summary of meeting including proposed petition to Earl Shaftesbury]... Copies of the petition cn be obtained from the secretary, Mr J Shaw, 17 St Mark's Lane, Cheetham Hill"

Maybe if the Manchester society was affiliated with the London one, records could have gone to London somewhere?

There was also a report from a newspaper in 1855 of an earlier society, the Manchester And Salford Association of Chimney Sweepers by Machinery. It was their first anniversary and chairman was Mr William Wood.

Hope that helps
 :) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue_d18

• RootsChat Extra
  • xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 September 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
When I got a reply from the Working Class Movement Library, they suggested a link with the London one but said no records have survived.

I was hoping to find some relatives who may have been members but seems it maybe a futile search

Thanks for the help Barbara