Author Topic: Mason Family-Staffordshire To New Jersey?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mason Family-Staffordshire To New Jersey?
« on: Wednesday 22 September 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
My relative Emma Nicholls born in Hanley Staffordshire in c 1841 married a Frederick Mason who was also born in Hanley in c 1841,at Stoke-On-Trent in 1863.They had the following children,Thomas (c1864),Frederick(c1865),Henry((c1869),William1870-1870),Elizabeth(c1873),William(c1876),Emma(c1877),Joshua(c1880.The family are to be found in the UK 1881 Census living at 4 Queen Ann St Stoke-On-Trent-RG11/4722/32/5.All their children are with them except for Thomas and Henry.On the face of it there is no further sign of any of the family after this date.

However I searched for the most uncommon name that of Joshua and I'm drawn very much to the passenger list of the Alaska in 1882 bound for New York which includes an Emma Mason(1841)and also "Elith"(1873),Emma(1875),William(1878) and a Joshua(1879).There are later Census entries of a Joshua born around this time in the Trentham area of New Jersey.I would be most grateful for any help in tracing what happened to the people who sailed on the Alaska.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mason Family-Staffordshire To New Jersey?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
I think the Joshua in Trenton may be yours, as I found a WWII Draft Registration Card for a Joshua Mason born 20 Nov. 1879 in Staffordshire England and living at 5 Pershing Ave., Ewing, Mercer Co., New Jersey.  Ewing is right next to Trenton.  He was a retired railway mail clerk.  The person who would always know his address was Mrs. Margaret Mason at the same home address.  He was white, 5'7" tall, 133 pounds, with blue eyes, gray hair, and a light complexion.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:25 BST (UK) »
There is also an entry on the Social Security Death Index for a Joshua Mason with the same birth date and a death date of April, 1973.  His Social Security number was issued in New Jersey before 1951 and his last residence was New Smyrna Beach, Volusia Co., Florida.  The Florida death index says that this Joshua died 1 Apr. 1973 in Volusia County, was white, and was born 20 Nov. 1879.

If you can find exact birth dates or the quarter in which these folks were born, it could be helpful.  I couldn't find them on the 1900 Census, but you can try checking yourself here - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thsnks shelleyesq,Joshua Mason's birth was registered in the Jan/Feb/Mar Quarter in Stoke-On-Trent.Whilst on the face of it this would be out with the one you've given,the quarter a birth was registered has been less than reliable I've found.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
Maybe you could try to e-mail the New Smyrna Beach library to see if they would be willing to check for an obituary for him.  There's information here - http://volusialibrary.org/VCPLbranches-nsb.html

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 September 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks shellyesq,I shall try the link you gave.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire