Author Topic: James Long - Casement's Irish Brigade  (Read 2943 times)

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
James Long - Casement's Irish Brigade
« on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for any help on this chap, James Long. Apart from knowing the he came from Roscommon, and joined Casements Irish Brigade link to what I have on him

Born in Roscommon and serving in Connaught Rangers.

Casement has him as a builders labourer before enlisting. 

10302 Pte Long James, 23 Millerd St Cork is on list of Connaught Ranger prisoners.

There is birth of a John Long in Roscommon in 1885, but I have no idea if it is him.

This John is in 1901 living with his mother and family in Dangans, Mountmellick Town, Queen's Co. Some of the family are still there in 1911, but no John.

1911 Nov is when he enlisted, so should be in Irish 1911 census. He is not in 1911 Ireland census there. Nor in Overseas Military nor England based. There are no Longs in Millerd St in 1901 nor 1911.

He appears to have re-entered the British Army in MGC after post war repatriation.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Long - Casement's Irish Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 September 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
My grandfather's brother was from Roscommon and although on the 1901 census I could not find him anywhere in Ireland in 1911.
I finally found him on the Manchester Census for 1911.
He joined the Connaught Rangers from England.

This may also have happened with your James
On FindMyPast there is a James Long living in Bradford approx birth year 1882 born Ireland which may be a start as well as there is also a civil birth record for James Long in Athlone for Jan-Mar 1881 Volume 3 Page 16

You didn't idicate what age you thought him to be - this is based on your thoughts that John of 1885 might be correct.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
Re: James Long - Casement's Irish Brigade
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 September 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts.

The problem I have with the Irish Brigade men is that in many cases I have little to go on, other than knowing that a man of that name and that regiment joined the Irish Brigade in Germany

With comparatively common names there tends not to be enough to tie down the man in question unless I can find a descendant, who can confirm details.

I have been remarkably successful on Rootschat in finding descendants who are able to confirm details of their ancestors deeds.

In the case of this chap I do not know his age, as I do not have enough to be sure. "Normally" men joined the army at 17 which was basically as soon as they were able to join up.

From a service number I can tell when they enlisted, take off 17 and get a probably birth date. He enlisted in Nov 1911 which might point to a DOB in 1894. But that is no more than a rough guide, he may well have been older when he enlisted.

So I probably have to hope that a Long with a Casement man in their ancestors comes along.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling