Author Topic: Byrne families with forename 'Evan'  (Read 4976 times)

Offline staffs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Byrne families with forename 'Evan'
« on: Thursday 23 September 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to locate any ancestors or relatives of Evan Byrne, Master Mariner, born Wexford 1817 and Master of the Schooner 'Star' out of Wexford 1856, owned by Ellen O' Connor.  The name Evans or Evans continued in this familly for the next two generations, but I can't find any other family using it as a forename.  His daughter Mary married Joseph Ryan, master mariner in 1879, Wexford. (my great-gr grandfather)
Any info would be appreciated
Staffs.

Offline shellback

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne families with forename 'Evan'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 September 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
The name Evan or Evans is still used in that family. To find them I think  you can check names in the online phone directory.

Offline staffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 September 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks 'Shellback'  Ive only found one Evan Byrne so far, in Enniscourthy and have taken the liberty of writing to him.  I hope he doesn't mind.  I'm also looking for a Patrick Ryan, Master Mariner of Wexford born around 1820, the father of my Great-grandfather, Joseph Ryan, Master Mariner born 1850 Wexford.  He also had sons Henry & Patrick.  Henry, like Joseph moved to Liverpool in around 1882.  I reckon sorting out a Ryan might prove even harder than a Byrne.
Staffs

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
www.pilot.familysearch.org
is Irish Civil Registrations which began in 1864, and has a few 'Evan Byrne'

Jack

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sueball45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
I think I might be a relative as I have been researching my family tree and have found a Evans Byrne who would be my Great Great Grandfather. His daughter, Margaret married John White who is my Great Grandfather.  On their marriage certificate it states that Evans Byrne is a Pilot.  I automatically thought of airplanes but realised it must be piloting a boat.  This sounds like we could both be on the same page.
Sue

I'm trying to locate any ancestors or relatives of Evan Byrne, Master Mariner, born Wexford 1817 and Master of the Schooner 'Star' out of Wexford 1856, owned by Ellen O' Connor.  The name Evans or Evans continued in this familly for the next two generations, but I can't find any other family using it as a forename.  His daughter Mary married Joseph Ryan, master mariner in 1879, Wexford. (my great-gr grandfather)
Any info would be appreciated
Staffs.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 May 18 07:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Sue,
Staffs will get an email notification of your message if his/her email address hasn't changed.
In the meantime you might like to have a look at this site http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/cl/home.jsp
The are results for Evan/Evans Byrne including at least one working on a ship owned by Mrs O'Connor
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cl/007604252_00482.pdf

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 May 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
I think I might be a relative as I have been researching my family tree and have found a Evans Byrne who would be my Great Great Grandfather. His daughter, Margaret married John White who is my Great Grandfather.  On their marriage certificate it states that Evans Byrne is a Pilot.  I automatically thought of airplanes but realised it must be piloting a boat.  This sounds like we could both be on the same page.
Sue

It is always helpful (to those who try to assist) if you can state as much information as possible:
- What religion?
- Where was the marriage, and when?
 These details help, and help to avoid wasted effort.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline sueball45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 May 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Apologies, this is my first time writing on a Forum.  The marriage of John White and Margaret (Maggie) Byrne took place on 20th November 1901 in Wexford and they are Roman Catholic.