Author Topic: Mariner family  (Read 7017 times)

Offline ElizT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mariner family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 March 18 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm trying to connect James Mariner who came to Australia about the 1850's to Magnus Mariner.  Family verbal stories say James was his son, along with William who lived on Tonga and at least another son who went to New Zealand.  James and his son Edward came to Victoria, Australia and at some point changed the spelling of their surname to Marriner, perhaps to create a separation between their name and occupation. Edward was running a shipping business between Portarlington and Williamstown until his untimely death in 1875.  My great aunt corresponded with the Queen of Tonga for many years and that fits with our connection to Magnus Mariner.

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
I do have a baptism for James Mariner
P00144-2  374461 James Mariner  Baptism Date:  2 May 1794  Parish:  Collegiate Church of St Katherine By The Tower  County:  London  Borough:  City of London  Parent(s):  Magnus,  Theodosia  Record Type:  Christening  Register Type:  Parish Register

I don't have any other information on him though. He has another brother Henry Magnus as well as William and sister Mary Ann. The other 2 siblings didn't survive to adult hood

Does that help?

Di
Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield

Offline ColonyAl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm a little late on the scene as I commenced my dedicated family research just a few months ago. Nevertheless I have collated and recorded quite extensively.  I can confirm from my information that James MARINER was the father of Edward MARINER who was the skipper of a ship and he came to Melbourne, Australia in about 1850.  I don't have any information to suggest James came to Australia. Edward departed from Liverpool where I believe James had moved to from London. James was the brother of William MARINER who was a captive on the Tonga Islands for about four years from 1806 until 1810 when he escaped and returned to England - his story is much written about in books. It was his son, William, who returned to Tonga years later and has descendants in New Zealand and the Pacific islands. James and William were sons of Magnus and Theodosia MARINER
Returning to Edward: he married, had a family and lived in Williamstown, Victoria. He did run a shipping ferry between there and Point Lonsdale and Port Arlington. He changed his surname to MARRINER as suggested, not sure exactly when. His wife and children all bore the name of MARRINER. However he is buried under the name of MARINER as his grave plot was registered under his original surname. Does anyone know the circumstances of his death?  He died aged 47 on 26 March, 1875. I'm also keen to find out the details of any siblings of Edward (who was born 1828 in Liverpool).
James MARINER married Maria BROMLEY on 16 July 1816 at St Pauls, Liverpool.
Looking forward to hearing and sharing more.
Allan

Offline Indigogirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 November 18 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

I haven't found any other siblings between James in 1817 and Edward 1828 - which is a little unusual given the time between their births.

My connection is through Mary Ann b 1791. Daughter on Magnus and Theodosia

Diane
Edwards, Williams, Griffiths, Gittins in Denbighshire, Merionethshire
Edwards, Price/Peirce in Monmouthshire.
Kosh in London and Newcastle.
Turnbull, Elder, Forster in Newcastle
Smart, Raycord/Record in Rowley Regis,Staffs
Edwards in Pontefract, Castleford, Matlock
Frith, Gregory in Matlock
Wadsworth, Shephard in Brotherton
Fagan, Lawless in Sheffield

Offline ElizT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 November 18 02:08 GMT (UK) »
My reply to Allan yesterday disappeared ... Edward MARINER/MARRINER who came to Australia is my great-great grandfather.  Our simple family tree attached and so compressed to be attached, will be difficult to read.  My Dad, Stuart MARRINER said James came to Australia but that's not the story I recall from years ago, it was always that Edward came to Australia - why?  The family story from Dad: Edward was killed trying to stop a fight in Williamstown.  It was assumed that he had been a party to the fight until a man, on his deathbed, confessed that he had punched Edward and killed him when he was trying to break up the fight.

Offline ElizT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 November 18 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Should have added that great-grandfather Edward MARRINER, who was born in Portarlington, married Elizabeth MARRINER from Colac.  I'm talking about Edward, the son of Edward who came to Australia.  Edward's sister Elizabeth married William MARRINER from Colac.  Brother and sister married sister and brother.  There should be a connect back to England between the two families however there were originally two spellings MARRINER and MARINER.  Dad always said you had to know whick side of the family you were talking to when they said 'Auntie Lizzie' - was it Gran or aunt.  Too many Edwards and here's me christened Elizabeth Marriner ...

Offline ElizT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 November 18 02:49 GMT (UK) »
As well as being christened Elizabeth MARRINER, I live in Portarlington.

Offline ColonyAl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 November 18 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Nice to become acquainted with cousins both near and far. Thanks Elizabeth for confirming the circumstances of the death of Edward (1). I had a memory of hearing that he die as a result of an altercation and wrote that in the narrative of my MARRINER family history I have been compiling. I can update that part now.  I'm surprised I haven't been able to find any mention of it in the digitised newspapers of that time which I have trawled through.  Your dad, Stuart, sent me a little information back in 2002 which I recently referenced. The dates of birth of the children of Magnus and Theodosia are indeed a little uncertain and it seems sometimes confused with baptism dates.  Stuart had James & Maryann's d.o.b. (both) as 2/5/1794 however that appears now to be their baptism dates.  I'm fairly certain that William MARINER's d.o.b. is 10/9/1791 which is also the date referred to in his story written by John Martin. 
We keep discovering more as we investigate. Look forward to further sharing.
Allan (Cyril - Earl - Edward - Edward - James - Magnus) :)