Author Topic: The History of the Family Dallas  (Read 8187 times)

Offline camafra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The History of the Family Dallas
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 May 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
I have noticed that the index of names in this work is incomplete and should not be relied upon. I see that there is a Lillias Dallas* mentioned on p. 449 who is not in the index!

*who is tantalisingly a possible candidate based on age. My Lillias was "55" [i.e., 55-59] in 1841 and the Lillias on p. 449 was born in December 1781 and would have been 59 in June 1841...
I don't know if my Lillias appears in the 1851 census returns.
I see also on p. 451 a Roderick Dallas described as a farmer at Dunain ... who will be the Roderick Dallas, 67, at Leachkin (immediately north of Dunain) in the 1841 returns ... Was he her brother, I wonder?

Offline camafra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 May 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Lillias Dallas and Angus MacPherson were my ggg grandparents.I have done a fair amount of research on this couple and their descendants.
Which of the MacPherson siblings are you descended from?
Re the Dallas history:it is stated,I believe, in the book that no direct links have been established between the Inverness Dallas families and the main lines.

Offline StanleyDoug

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 October 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilthireach

Lillias Dallas and Angus McPherson were my great great great grand-parents and I have  gathered some information on them and their family but did not know about the horse stealing incident/trial or Lillias' death.  Their daughter Margaret was my great great grandmother.  You obviously know your subject - I'd be very interested to discuss with you.

I'm new to this forum so can't contact you direct until I've made three posts - this is number 1.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 October 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
I know he is out of your area but my only Dallas is Seymour Dallas, son of John and Mary, born 5 December 1840, Chorlton upon Medlock, Lancashire. Married and Divorced in South Africa. Seymour died 14 May 1933, Folkestone, Kent.

Offline alisanneennis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 November 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, my grandmother was a Dallas and I have managed to trace the family back until John Dallas 1776 to 1850 but I am now stuck.   I have extensive Dallas family history/free and information if anyone is interested, please get in touch.  My mother was a Thom.  The other names in the family tree are Hay, Grant and Grassie. thanks

Offline Jdes86

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 February 20 18:34 GMT (UK) »
     I have been able to trace my Dallas ancestry back to William Dallas 1743-1807 in Inverness, Scotland. He was married to Margaret MacKintosh. Any information on them, ancestors or descendants would help. Thank you.

Offline Chloedallas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 June 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi my names chloe Dallas. I'm from Kingussie and I am a direct line to the dallas family as my father is a dallas. Could I get some info from you regarding my heritage please.
Thanks.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Chloe , welcome to RC  :)

To make connections it may be best to trace your own family back a few generations.
(Perhaps you have done this already  :-\ )
I have one Margaret Dallas in my tree(Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire) , but that's going back to the early 1800's.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 June 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
There is ths book about the Dallas family, already mentioned above
https://openlibrary.org/works/OL211550W/The_history_of_the_family_of_Dallas

but if you want to find out about your own heritage you'll need to do a little research of your own to find out how you fit in. There's a useful guide here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=480454.0

My 5th-great-grandfather was John Dallas, who lived in the parish of Botriphnie in Banffshire in the mid-18th century, but I think our branch was too humble to warrant a mention in the book!
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith