Author Topic: Sands Directory equivalent in Melbourne?  (Read 9390 times)

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sands Directory equivalent in Melbourne?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 September 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue,

I did as you suggested and searched for Bontherambo and references to the Docker family. It's quite an impressive estate, and Frederick George Docker was the executor of Joseph's will. I'd love to know what the connection was. Might resume the search tomorrow.

Tracey.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 September 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
Tracey I would suggest that the initials in the first column are either UR [usual residence] or NR [normal residence] and it would appear his address was simply Melbourne.  Do the other deaths in hospitals registrations have the initials and a suburb under County of Bourke?  If he died in a privately owned hospital it may not be noted.  There were a couple of boarding houses in the Spring Street in the 1898 directory as well.

Where was Joseph buried?   I searched for death notice in the Argus but couldn't see one.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 September 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

All the entries on the page have what looks like a 2 letter notation in the registration number column and they all look similar. The other 4 all say 'Hospital Gibbs Ward City of Melbourne County of Bourke' then one looks like 'Fitzroy', the others have another word which I can't read.

It's hard to read where he was buried, but it could possibly be Wangaratta Cemetery? The first letter looks like a 'W' then something else, the a letter with a 'tail' and maybe an 'r' and a double 't' nearer the end.

Listed as a labourer on the death certificate, he left an estate of 677 pounds, including 2 mortgages listed as assets, so he had lent money out, and apparently the Salvation Army also owed him money. Why would that be I wonder? On the probate notice he was listed as 'gent'. Big difference.......

His debts were listed as 25 pound to a Dr, 4 pound to a nurse, and a bit over 1 pound for a chemist bill, so he was obviously unwell leading up to his death. His will was written at the end of October.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Tracey.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 September 10 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Laceytreigh

The executor of the Will FREDERICK GEORGE DOCKER  was the son  of Rev JOSEPH DOCKER.

If you think the place of burial is Wangaratta Cemetery , here is link to request a search of the Cemetery's records. There may be a small charge.

I would expect a man of that wealth would have had a headstone and this may give valuable information.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09v4/

Transport of his remains from Melbourne to Wangaratta may have been by rail as the trainline was well-established by the date of DOBSON's death.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 September 10 01:46 BST (UK) »
Tracey can you snip the sections of the death cert that you are having trouble deciphering?  The complete cert must not be posted but small snippets are permitted to allow assistance with deciphering.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:09 BST (UK) »
OK, I've never uploaded anything here, so I hope it works!

Sue, I had a look at the link to Wangaratta Cemetery and there is a charge for searching which is to be expected, I'll get on to that this afternoon.

I'll post the 1st bit of the death certificate and the 2nd bit in another post. I think I have his children's names sorted, especially the ones born in England, but I'm struggling with one. There is Eleanor, John, Jane, George, Isabella, ??Joseph, and Matthew. Isabella was the youngest when they arrived, so the last 2 were born here.

Thanks,

Tracey.

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry if that's a bit big!!

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:34 BST (UK) »
"The other 4 all say 'Hospital Gibbs Ward City of Melbourne County of Bourke' "

Hi Tracey,
could Gibbs be Gipps? I have a relation who died in Gipps ward, Melbourne Hospital which was in South Melbourne.

Regards Alison

Offline laceytreigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 September 10 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Yes, it could be Gipps, thinking how the old cursive 'p' looked. Very sad, 2 little boys, both died from diphtheria. But Joseph's definitely says 'Albert Ward'.

Thanks,
Tracey.