Author Topic: James Beilby  (Read 8696 times)

Offline OzResearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Beilby
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 September 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi - so pleased to hear from you.  We are still working on finding out more details about Thomas' parents birth dates and his grandparents details and are very pleased to hear from a descendant of his brother.  :)

Do you have any further information on earlier family for your GGrandfather George or would you like us to share when we find something from our research into Thomas?

We have most of our direct line to James organised if there is anything in particular you would like to check up on.

Do you know anything about the other George Beilby who was living in Leongatha, Victoria Australia from the mid 1900's?  We are not sure who he belongs to?

Let me know if we can be of help.

Cheers

Offline goosey999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 September 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
Like you, I have not yet got any further back than the info on the IGI database.  I am, however, aware that the info on the IGI database is not complete (earlier parish records are sometimes available).  I have also learnt from following other family lines, that earlier records may be recorded in a different parish (which covered that area at an earlier date) even if the family have not moved.  I am about to investigate the availability of records and the extent in dates of various parish records for that area of Yorkshire.  North Ferriby is the parish that includes Swanlands.

If all else fails, I may need to plan a visit to the Record Office.

What strategy are you taking?

I had not even considered that some of the family may have emigrated, so can not help you with the other George Beilby.

I suggest that whoever gets the information first, shares with other interested parties.

Offline Gigi4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 September 11 05:22 BST (UK) »
Some family trees indicate that James' father Thomas (b1791) may have married twice.  Whilst our records indicate he married Ann Shipton in 1821 (I don't have a death date), some family trees have him marrying a Mary Agnes Walker who died in 1846.  It would be good to have this verified, and with dates. 

Offline OzResearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 September 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi goosey999, we (my husband & I) are in Australia and so I'm not always sure how to access older parish records accurately. 
We did manage to order a birth record for Thomas (born 9-5-1791, baptised 31-5-1791) from the BMD registers UK and it states that he is the son of Thomas and Mary Bielby of Swanland.
We also have a copy of James death certificate which states his father is Thomas, Gentleman, married Ann Shipton.  (The IGI says the marriage date was 22 Dec 1821.  I think we found it on a another record too but need more time to re-check that.)  So that confirms at least one marriage. 
Gigi 4:  If anyone can confirm an earlier marriage that would be great to know.
Our family story always mentions Nth Ferriby and Welton, but I did not put 2 + 2 together to realise that Swanlands is actually included in that area.  :)   Thank you.
Hope that maybe will verify a few things and be of some help...

Offline goosey999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 September 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
I have unearthed some information for my fellow researchers.  I have found a copy of the book "A New History of Swanland" compiled by The Swanland Village History Group in 2002.  ISBN 0-9543440-0-6.

I have had access to it in my University Library.
The book clearly states that Thomas Beilby built the first mill in Swanland in 1797.  The mill was later rebuilt in 1849 and finally demolished in 1906 after gale damage in 1895.
On 7th Feb 1834 Thomas Beilby the elder was declared bankrupt.

In the 1797 land tax assessment, Thomas Beilby was assessed for house and mill at £1, with rate payable 4 shillings in the pound.  No Beilby was mentioned in the 1791 assessment.

Neither was there any mention of Beilby for window tax in 1774 or 1779.  Nor in Swanland Rental in 1779.

Other Beilby members of Swanland (in the census returns):

Henry Beilby, blacksmith (1861,1881,1891)
James Beilby, builder (1891)
Mary Beilby, seamstress (1841,1861)
Sophia Beilby,seamstress (1851)
George Beilby, miller (1841,1851)
Henry Beilby, miller (1851,1861)
Rowland Beilby, miller (1851)

It certainly looks as though Thomas Beilby and his wife Mary moved to Swanland to build the mill just before 1797.  It looks like their children are heads of families in the 1841 census. We now need to work out where Thomas came from before Swanland.

Offline Gigi4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 00:30 BST (UK) »
Well Goosy999 that is most interesting about the mill and many thanks for passing on all this to us in Australia.  I am currrently researching the education/training of 19th Century Head Gardeners.  The Horticultural Directory (a who's- who- and- where of head gardeners) was published annually by 'The Cottage Gardener' in The Journal of Horticulture and may be a source for information on Thomas (b 1791) the Head Gardener, son.

Offline OzResearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Goosey999 for the wonderful information about the Mill records.  Nice to know he built the 1st mill in Swanland.  It seems it was a good employment option for the family as well.

It is fascinating that names have passed down through the generations - Rowland with that particular spelling is still going in our family line, six generations down the family tree!

We have been told very adamantly that Sophia is pronounced "So-fire" -- is this true for anyone else in the family?  There is a Mt Sophia in Qld, Australia that is pronounced that way as well. Another thing to look into when I have more time...

All fascinating stuff, eh?

Looking forward to more discoveries....

Offline rtbeilby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 December 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I happened upon this very old thread today and assume, therefore, that all questions are solved and that contributors have probably, by this, dotted all i's and crossed all t's.  Nevertheless, one comment caught my eye, the question of the pronunciation of 'Sophia'.
Indeed, there was insistence in our part of the family and by the holder of the name that 'So-'fire' it was.
To put this in context:  The first Beilby arrival in Australia in our line was James, husband of Elizabeth.  After 1848/9 Festive Season cheer, they married in about March (I write from the top of my head) and John, first child, was born (if I remember rightly) in early October.  I thought their ship was the SS Caroline - The Downs to Geelong, arriving in either late June or early July of 1849 (but as I have no records with me, I stand to be corrected).  John married one of the Johnson girls, Hannah.  I think that was about 1880 and to 'get away from the arguing' they took wagon and team to Charleville in Queensland, James being born shortly after departure in Stawell in 1880. John and Hannah's children - James, John*, Thomas George, Elizabeth, Laura, Mary, Rebecca.
Mary (born, I think, in 1898) was named Mary Sophia who spoke pontifically regarding the family pronunciation of Sophia.
No doubt correspondents on this thread have all answers worked out by this.  I am overseas and such records as I have are stored away in Australia - hence, I write from the top of my head.  However, while my memory of some points I've mentioned here is a little fuzzy, I too can write pontifically regarding old Mary's insistence on So-fire.
* I think Jack was given a second name but I don't recall it now.  Jim was plain James.  Tom was always known as Thomas George but he used to tell me a story (whose details I have now forgotten) in which he was either supposed to be registered as George Thomas or someone was given the task of registration and reversed Thos. Geo. to Geo. Thos.  I can swear to nothing.  As to the order of the children, I'd have to consult my Australian records for that.  Suffice it to say, however, that John's children's names mirrored those his uncles and aunts, i.e. James and Elizabeth's children.
Old James, the original migrant to Australia, boarded the ship with his 21-year-old wife, Elizabeth Baker, who, one of the relatives told me, worked in one of the pubs in a village near Swanland.  But as he was only 19, he 'upped' his age and the ship's passenger list shows his age as 21 also - and I think he may have answered to that 'advanced' age throughout his life.  What caused the sudden upsetting of the usual pattern of village life for James and Elizbeth, I do not know.  I know only that Seasonal Cheer, hasty marriage and even more hasty hot footing it to The Downs and Australia occurred.  Whether they too wished to 'escape the arguing' or were banished, I have no idea but I find the latter idea unlikely for, after all, the family was not necessarily 'of the quality' at the Swanland Mill and a Season's Greetings marriage was hardly likely to have been a rarity.
Anyway, thank you for the surprise of the 2011 posts.  I have printed them out and will add them to my records box in Australia when I visit in a couple of months' time.

(Delving deep into memories of some research some 40 or so years ago - I found that whether the name was spelt Bei or Bie depended upon the taste of the clerk at the baptising church.  No doubt more recent researchers will have found the pattern.  Bei/Bie families of the area got Bei uniformly at one church and Bie uniformly at the other - nearby but of a differing spelling persuasion.  I take it that the family and the district were of no strict views in the matter of spelling.  Which reminds me of the village, Beilby Bielby in Yorkshire.  I have photographs that show the town name sign at one end of the village as Bielby and another at the other end of the road showing the name as Beilby.  Perhaps since when I was last there some standardization has taken place).

Offline goosey999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 December 19 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I can answer your question about Beilby/Bielby as I am undertaking a one name study of the surname.

I am a direct descendent of the Swanland Beilbys.

There does not seem to be any consisency between the spelling of the surname in BMD or census records.  I am having to treat the surname spellings as completely interchangeable.

We still have to discover where the original Thomas Beilby came from.  All we know is he had enough money to build the first mill in Swanland.  I suspect that he is related to Francis Beilby of Ferriby and his son Samuel Beilby (who later went to Cambridge University and became a DD).  Samuel Beilby was according to the Gentleman's Magazine a direct descendent of the Beilby mechants in Hull.  One day the missing Beilby family parish records may become available and we might be able to confirm our suspicions.

Sorry, I cannot help you with the pronunciation of Sophia.