Author Topic: Dalestorth House Skegby Mansfield  (Read 12826 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dalestorth House Skegby Mansfield
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 September 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
It would need a bit more research but from what I can tell John Joseph Miller's parents were John George Miller & Ann Machon - married at Mansfield st Peter's in 1848 - and John George Miller's parents were John Miller & Mary Daykin married at Annesley in 1826.

Which I think fits with some of the burials....

John Joseph Miller is with his parents in the household of his grandmother Mary Miller the schoolmistress at Dalestorth School - RG HO107 /2124/Folio7/Page7     

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 September 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Dizzie

Thanks wedding info very welcome
I have been searching this end and have found Lucy's sister - Florence Olive Miller born 1887 on the 1911 a spinster living at the home of her aunt - Frances Mary Dodsley (nee Miller) living at Skegby Hall - widow of Robert Marsh Eckersley Wilkinson Dodsley - interesting.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 September 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hello...

I am not sure how far you want to go re the Miller family being as you said it was more about finding the descendants? but they are an interesting family anyway.... :D

Dalestorth House & Skegby Hall are both Grade2 listed buildings.

According to Mike Spencer's site "yesterday's journey's" there is a Will at South Normanton mentioning Frances Mary Dodsley =
GILL Sarah of Sth Normanton widow, mentions niece Frances Mary DODSLEY wife of Robert DODSLEY of Skegby 1872 /

Marriage at Skegby
Robert Marsh E.W. DODSLEY & Frances Mary MILLER - 16th June 1868

From National probate calendar

Mary Doris Evelyn MILLER of Dalestorth House, Mansfield, spinster, died 20th February 1903 at Newnham College, Cambridgeshire - administration Nottingham 5th March 1906 to John Joseph Miller, gentleman. (so this must be the other lost child by the 1911?)

John Joseph MILLER of Dalestorth House, Mansfield - died 26th April 1928; probate Nottingham 26th February 1929 to Margaret Ann Milward Miller spinster and Horace Gordon Victor Miller, land agent.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 September 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dizzie

Thanks again.  There are some interesting pieces of information here.  I found a death on freebmd for Mary so your note confirms she died at Newnham College - so sad.  I strongly suspect that most or all of the girls went to Newnham. Interesting to see that Margaret is still a spinster in 1928.

I have now found most of the surviving siblings on the 1911 with the exception of John, the eldest child. The only census I have found him on is the 1881 at Morton Rectory Cottages Chesterfield - it looks like he is 11 ? but his mother is only 27.  This puts his date of birth to 1870 and his parent married in 1876 - so i think he may not be 11 but actually 4?  You get to the 1891 and he is not listed with the family - I wonder if he was away at school? He is not listed with the family on the 1901 either.

General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 September 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hello...

I couldn't find John Miller either in 1891, 1901 and 1911 but the article below might give a clue as to why...
There are a few other newspaper snippets but these were the ones you may find interesting.

Marriage - The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent  Tuesday, April 25, 1876
MILLER  - STORER - April 18, at the Parish Church, Tibshelf, Derbyshire, John Joseph Miller of Irez-de-la-Frontere, Spain and Dalestorth House near Mansfield, Notts, to Mary Victoria, second daughter of R.M. Storer esq; Nether house, near Alfreton.
=========

The Times, Monday, Jan 07, 1924
CAPTAIN E. A. MILLER and MISS M.E. HALL
The engagement is announced between Captain Edward Albert Miller, Administrative Service, Nigeria, son of Mr & Mrs Miller of Dalestorth House, Mansfield, Notts and Murial Blanche, older daughter of Mr & Mrs W.L. Hall of Osea Island, Maldon, Essex
==========

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 31, 1915
CAPTAIN JOHN MILLER, 6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, killed in action on August 16 at the Dardanelles'' was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs John J Miller of Dalestorth House, Mansfield. He always took a keen interest in the Territorial Force and was promoted Captain on October 26 last, after several years service in his unit. He was on the permanent engineering staff of Messrs. Guinness and Co., and was a prominent member of the Engineering and Scientific Association of Ireland, of which he was president at the time war was declared.

Doesn't look like he married and on the CWGC site it says he was the son of John Joseph and Mary Victoria Miller of Dalestorth House.
============

Edited to add;

National Probate index
JOHN MILLER of Dalestorth House near Mansfield,Nottinghamshire and of St.James' Gate, Dublin,Ireland.
Captain1/6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers died 16 august 1915 at Gallipoli Peninsula - Probate London, 14th December 1915 to Margaret Anne Milward Miller, spinster.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Dizzie

Thanks for this brilliant information
You are a star

Yes this really fits in and now I know why I could not find John the eldest son as he was perhaps in Ireland.

Thanks once again
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Genesfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
I have just come across your discussion on Dalestorth House, and the Miller family.  This is of interest to me, as I married a descendant of Frances Mary Miller and Robert Marsh Eckersley Wilkinson Dodsley, and have been researching the family.  I believe you are particularly interested in Lucy Hope Miller, (known as Hope) and I can confirm that she did not marry.  She died 16 Mar 1978 in Colchester district.  Her sister Margaret Anne Milward (known as Madge) was also unmarried and died 1975 at Mansfield. The third unmarried sister was Florence Olive who died in 1968.
I believe that Edward Albert Miller and Muriel Blanche had a daughter named Angela approx. 1928, but I can find no proof of this.  Do you have any information on her?

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
Dear Genesfinder,

Delighted that you have got in touch. I was researching 'Hope' for a friend.  Will have to find all of the relevant information .My friend and her mother attended a house sale at Mansfield, some years ago, bought a few books and found some letters and other family information inside. Will be back in touch soon.

Carol
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Genesfinder
Sorry we do not really know anything much about the family or whether Edward Albert did have a daughter named Angela.  I have looked at the BMD but found nothing.  As for the letters we have written by Lucy, my friend says you are very welcome to have them.  She only saved them in the hope that one day she might be able to pass them onto a member of the family.  We would need your postal address to send them to you.  There is a facility on rootschat to send a personal message so only I get to see your postal address but I think you need to have made 5 posts to turn the PM system on.  You can also contact me via the Jacksdale Community website - if you google it.
Carol
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY