Author Topic: Dalestorth House Skegby Mansfield  (Read 12829 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dalestorth House Skegby Mansfield
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

Re Dalestorth House -  1911 - just in case you want to download from Ancestry.....

Browse this collection =
County = Nottinghamshire
Civil Parish = Mansfield
Enumeration District = 14
Image - 1022 of 1027

Offline PlanetPixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much both of you - have found it finally and sadly my grandmother wasn't Ethel Peacock so I still don't know what years she worked there.  Does anyone know of any records anywhere of domestic servants who did 'in service' apprenticeships or did they not keep them?

Offline ricki68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm researching the Miller family and I'm interested in George Miller who was the brother of John Joseph Miller.
George migrated to Australia where he married in 1895 and had children.
I would like to know more about him and his father John George Miller - I have not found son George in the censuses after 1871 and father John George after 1861.
Also anything on the family, particularly early genealogy, and how they came to buy the house.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 May 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

Welcome to Rootschat....... it looks like everyone has gone awol and you have been neglected  :-\

These are just a few observations until someone has more in depth research to share with you.

I don't know what happened to George either after 1871 when he was last seen  in Sussex;  maybe he travelled to other countries before ending up  in Australia? maybe George and John George Miller travelled together?

Here are a few clues.......

Nottinghamshire Guardian - Friday, September 30, 1881
On the 7th inst, at Dalestorth House, Mansfield, ANNE, wife of JOHN GEORGE MILLER, aged 56yrs.

Burial - SKEGBY St Andrew
ANNE MILLER - 20th September 1881, aged 56yrs, abode Mansfield.

~ ~ ~ ~

1881 - National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations)
Personal Estate £2,220 15s 11d
ANNE MILLER - 26th November  - The Will of Anne Miller (Wife of JOHN GEORGE MILLER) late of Dalestorth House near Mansfield in the County of Nottingham who died 17th September 1881 at Dalestorth House was proved at Nottingham by John Joseph Miller of Morton in the parish of Alfreton in the County of Derby, Wine Merchant the Son and William George Eking of the Town of Nottingham Solicitors the Executors, Probate being granted under certain Limitations.
~ ~ ~ ~

1889 - National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations)
Personal Estate £645.
JOHN GEORGE MILLER - 28th June  - Administration of the Personal Estate of John George Miller, late of Jerilderie in the Colony of New South Wales. Gentleman a Widower who died 10th July 1887 at Jerilderie was granted at the Principal Registry to John Joseph Miller of Dalestorth House near Mansfield in the County of Nottingham, Gentleman, the Son and one of the Next of Kin.
~ ~ ~ ~

Kind Regards

Sheila.

Offline ricki68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sheila!

So they both came to Australia.
John George Miller does not appear in the NSW or Victorian death indexes, which is a bit strange.
I will try to find him in a few more records.

Thanks again,
Heather