Author Topic: Adam Young and his parents John Young & Elizabeth Currie help  (Read 22909 times)

Offline pup609

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Young and his parents John Young & Elizabeth Currie help
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
I'm back tracking my ancestors of my mothers side of the CURRY family from Newcastle upon tyne to Kirknewton. I have taken recent photograph copies of the headstones mentioned

Would any CURRY ancesters like to exchange info?

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
pup 609,

My connection is with Elizabeth Curry/Currie marrying John Young at Kirknewton on December 29th 1822.

Happy to exchange information.

Regards
Gerry

Offline pup609

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 07:20 BST (UK) »
i have not read the emails closely yet but will do tonight.

My fathers family name is GREBBY and my mothers family name is CURRY. My grandfather was Thomas  Hunter CURRY (1893-1980) who stems from William Thomas Curry (1850-1930) and Thomas Curry (1817-1888) and Thomas Curry (1781-1843 & Isabella) of Kirknewton 

I believe that there are CURRY's still living in the Wooler area who i am trying to contact. Although i live in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyneside, I contract around the country and presently work in Glasgow. On returning home this friday afternoon, I may be able to call in to Wooler or where ever to check for any records - is there anything that you specifically require?

There are a number of Curry family members who have emigrated to Australia since 1890 from Tyneside - the oldest being Adam Hunter Curry (b1885)

Offline alicam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 July 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
I am so very excited to have read your post .To date I had been unable to find your Adam Young,he seemed to have gone off the radar as far as the searches I made were concerned.

My line goes back to John Young myGr.Gr.Gr.Father.Born in Kirknewton,Northumberland Dd. Gordon,Berwickshire.They produced a family of seven;

Ann 1824-1885
Andrew 1827-1896
William Currie 12/12/1827-8/9/1919 buried Morebattle, Roxburghshire, Scotland,Gr.Gr. Father.
Adam 1833-1880.
John1833-1903
Robert Thomson 1840-1922
Mary 1841-1952.

William Currie marr. Elizabeth Black and they had 11 children.Their 9th. child , James br.1868 was my Gr Gr. Father.His eldest son William Currie Young was my late Gr. Father on my maternal side.

Hope this is of interest to you and hope to hear from you soon.
Alison.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 July 12 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

Thanks for the reply and interest in Adam Young.  Great to find more connections to John Young and Elizabeth Currie.

Briefly, my GGGF was Adam Young who settled at Smythesdale in Victoria when he came out to Australia probably around 1857, he set himself up as a blacksmith, married and had 3 children.  One of his sons was Adam Edward Young and he made his way to the goldfields of Charters Towers in North Queensland where he married and one of his children was Mary Catherine Young, my GM.

Sadly Adam Edward Young died at 37 in 1902 and his widow Rosina Young (Meier) remarried.

I have a photo of Adam Edward Young's grave site at Charters Towers if you would like it plus some I have other information that might fill some gaps.

Regards
Gerry

Offline angusg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 August 12 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is a copy of a reply I replied to posted under the SUbject Greenknowe

Hi,
I have John YOUNG b1795 d 30 Mar 1847
                     at Greenknowe, Gordon
wife was Elisabeth CURRIE b 1796 England
               died  East Gordon, Gordon 10 Sep 1871
"Monumental Inscription in St Michael's Churchyard, Gordon
 Border Family History Society Publication  "MI" for
Gordon, Nenthorn & Westruther # 7", Published1999, isbn 1 874232 04 4
Entry # 129
" In memory of John YOUNG  Shepherd Greenknowe who died
30.3.1847 aged 52 years also Elizabeth CURRIE his wife who
died east Gordon 10.9.1871 aged 73 years."

Greenknowe is a farm on the Kelso to Lauder road just north of the village of Gordon.

It is possible that your Adam Edward Young in Charter Towers was aware of relatives
ie Crow or Thorburn.

My wifes aunt was married to a HUNTER in Gordon and thru that  the YOUNG/CURRIE
line.

here is what I have for the 1851 Census from SP
"1851 Census Pasrish of Gordon, County of Berwick
30/03/1851 Census, RD; 742/00 002/00 005, Page 5

Dwelling Greenknow   (no e in the spelling then)    Parish            County
Elizabeth YOUNG Head Widow 54 F                                             England
  William YOUNG Son    U        23 M  Shepherd                            England
     Mary YOUNG  Daur            13 F                       Gordon           Berwick
Robert T YOUNG Son              11 M                       Gordon           Berwick
    Agnes Hall      Servt  U       18 F Farm Servant    Longformacus Berwick"

I hope I can be of some help, we still have a relative in the village.

Yours Aye,
Angus

~~~~~~~~

Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.
Watt, Beattie,Glass,McDougal, Guthrie,Blackie,Pringle,Balmer,Headridge,Hunter,France,Greenhill
Gordon,Lawson,Anderson,Reid,Stott,Milne,Jackson,Walker McArthur,Hardie.Dunnet,Dundas
Thorburn, Mosley, Stewart, Wood, Gladstone, Darrie,Melrose
Duff,and in the States/Canada: Kidder,Duff, Blake,Robertson,Kerr.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 02:08 BST (UK) »

Hi Angus, thanks for the reply and more information especially re the Thorburn & Crow connections.  My Adam Edward Young was very young when his mother & father (Adam) died at Smythesdale and he and his brother were taken in by their Auntie at Kyabram in Victoria.

Interesting to see 18 year old Agnes Hall residing at Greenknow in 1851 I believe that Elizabeth Young's (nee Currie/Curry) mother was Ann Hall.

Adam Young is a Greenknow in 1841 but in 1851 I see him as a blacksmith servant working for David Scott at West Drumhead in Perthshire.  While I'm not 100% certian it is him the evidence is strong though.

Birth year about correct 1831-1833 ( I cant find his birth registration)
Born at Coldstream (same as stated on his death certificate)
Blacksmith servant, was a blacksmith in Smythesdale Victoria Australia.
Not at Greenknowe in 1851.

It's great to know that there was/is a MI for John & Elizabeth Young at Gordon, ttere is a bronze plaque at the Smythedale Cemetery in Victoria for their son Adam young whom was a pioneer settler in the area and there is a nice (still in good condition) MI at ChartersTowers in Queensland for their grandson Adam Edward Young.

Your help and information is greatly appreciated and I'll look at the Crow Thorburn connections and get back once I have some details.

Regards
Gerry