Author Topic: James Willoughby Drury  (Read 10242 times)

Offline sondaleigh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Willoughby Drury
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thanku so much for those links. They are great. I really appreciate how much research you did for me. I couldn't find the composer one but the others are really interesting. I had no idea about the bandleader role in Tasmania. Besson is my grandfather so its nice to have more info surrounding his birth. Tne mystery remains of where James actually came from and who his parents were I guess. :)

Thanks again

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 September 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
I can only suggest you get the second marriage certificate in case it gives you a clearer version of "Sooye" (or if you could get a scan of the NZ marriage certificate so we can have a look) or gives you yet another possiblity for his mother's name.

In some handwriting "S" can look like "L" and vice-versa - there's probably a few threads around on "Sawyer" vs. "Lawyer" on censuses ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Graylyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 December 10 00:46 GMT (UK) »
My name is Graham Drury, and I had a distant grandfather with the name JAMES WILLOUGHBY DRURY.  My youngest brother tried to set up our family tree but the trail stopped at the above person.  It appears he was born in England and came out to Australia but went to New Zealand at some stage, married and had children (I don't know how many).  He came back to australia and enlisted in the First World War. 

I don't know what happened to him after that.

I do know that I had an uncle called Besson.

Offline sondaleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Well its been a while but I just found a NZ war record which lists his age in 1903 as 32. That would make his birth about 1871. Not sure if this helps with anything. Also for some reason he had given a contact address to the military in Chichester c/o W C Stone. Not sure why when he had a wife in NZ at the time. Also found that between time as bandmaster in Tasmania and arrival in Queensland he was a bandmaster in Albury, NSW. Very interesting but not sure how much further it gets us. Oh btw he called himself Captain but was never officially given that rank in NZ.

Offline sondaleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 28 April 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
In 1903 James provides a contact address to the NZ military - the name and address is Mr (or Mrs not clear) Stone, Richmond Villas, Oving Rd, Chichester, England. I have been unable to find this in the 1901 census but have found a Stone household (1 male/3 females) in 1911 census living at 229 Oving rd but limited info . I did find Oving rd in the 1901 (Chichester - district 12) census but the household numbers only go up to 170 or so before the record ends. Where would the records for the rest of the road have been. Does anybody have any ideas where I should go from here. It may prove to be a nothing lead but just wondering if it could be some link to finding his birth/family details.

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 April 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
hi
229 in 1901 was unoccupied and I can't find Richmond Villas for Chichester or the Stone name in the later numbers on Oving Road ...

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline Graylyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonderleigh.  I don't know how to reply to your personal message, so I thought I would put it here.

My father's name was SEYMOUR VICTOR DRURY.  He married DOROTHY CAMERON HENDERSON and they had 8 children (I was the 5th).  My father would have been born in Australia around 1910-1913 period but I don't know where.  He had a brother Besson who lived at Murrarie in Brisbane, but I can't remember him being married or having any children.

As I said before, my youngest brother started our family tree but the trail went cold at our grandfather JAMES WILLOUGHBY DRURY.  He seems to be a bit of an enigma.

I hope this helps

Graham Drury

Offline Claire Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 April 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham Drury and 'Sondaleigh', I am Claire Clark a family historian in New Zealand researching a group of bandsmen. I have information on James Drury. I am reaching out to several J. Drury descendants who have made enquiries on the Internet for assistance, I hope to hear from you. My email address can be found by Googling these words       “History collecting – St Kilda Brass”