Author Topic: WiggyHobbes Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 22618 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
WiggyHobbes Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 28 September 10 10:24 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt and Wiggy's got a good one for you.......... a bit of a puzzle but you'll be able to get your teeth into it.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

David DUNCAN – born Plymouth, Devon, 5 Jan 1825 , died Victoria, Aus.  30 Sep 1875

Parents  - David (born Fife) 1796  (or 91?) – 16 Dec 1877  - would love to sort out his birth too!  His own consistently-given age leads back to 1796 -  - age given by his daughter at his death suggests 1791. 
                   Grace (nee Farley, born Plymouth I think) 1794 – 18 Aug 1852 – and hers!
Siblings:    Elizabeth, 1822, Harriet  1827 - ?1845, Archibald  1834 - 1838, Caroline, 1838

Caroline married Henry Jenkins   1864 had one son Henry 1865.   Father, David (David 1,) found living with them 1861 & 1871 censuses.  Henry Jenkins seems to have died before 1871 census!

Now - the real crux of the matter!

David  1, senior was in the RN.   

David 2 , junior followed father but served only a couple of months it seems, as a 'boy' in 1839, for either 2 or 12 months?? – joined the merchant navy  - still searching high and low for info. 

Muster ticket shows him leaving on a ship in about 1845/6, aged 21- very hard to read  - ticket 32069 (??)
–   we believe he jumped ship in Victoria
–   married 15 Oct 1849, Elizabeth Hughes, (arrived July 1849 on “Hope”), Geelong Presb – witnesses John Taylor and Mary-Ann Hughes (sister – her mark)
–   next heard of with children’s birth certificates – first two children born Geelong – third, Henry,  born 1858 near Ballarat. –
–   Offspring –   Elizabeth 1851 – 64
–                           Will’m H   1852 – 64
–                           Henry        1858 – 1927
–                           Caroline   1859 – 1937
–                           David        1861 – 61
–                           Janet         1864 – 1925
–   
–   he died in 1875, buried St Arnaud.  Death cert.  Reg 15216, says Mariner and Miner 
–   His wife, Elizabeth, is buried at Beaufort 1868.  Reg  3168 ? – hard to read.

****** Would love to know more about David 2’s naval and merchant seaman records - presumably kept in England  - what ship he was on and when he arrived in Victoria – and at which port – Portland, Geelong (seems likely ) or Port Phillip.
Would also like any other info about him, and Elizabeth, in Victoria – I can’t find any mention of him in local papers to date.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: WiggyHobbes Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for putting this up Barbara - just marking my spot to find my way back!
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Royal Navy Records can be downloaded from the National Archives website for £3.50

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royal-navy-service.asp
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
You will need to look for Grace's maiden name possibly being Farleigh, loads of that name in Devon.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bearkat and Jaywit.

Have been to the navy records - not exhaustively but reasonably thoroughly  - have David Senior's record of service on three ships - still looking for his will.  No sign of David Junior.   I am presuming he signed on in Plymouth - later his home port was Liverpool - for merchant navy I think.

Royal Marines were not merchant navy were they - I know they aren't now - were they then??

Jaywit - thanks for the suggestion - will do so!   

Edit:  Have done so - no joy - never mind - I already have her marriage and death records - so I know she was there!   Under Farley too!
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Don't know wether you have tried this for Merchant Seaman's records.

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/archive/displayGuide.aspx?sid=47

You will need to click through and see what records are kept where.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaywit,

I wrote to the remote enquiries person re merchant seamen and received a reply directing me to Kew archives  and also to this address:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/merchantseamanbefore1857.htm?WT.lp=rg-3158

Been looking at this link but the records for the dates I want are not online and they suggested a visit to Kew!   (Just a tad far!)  I have  asked a friend in London and when and if he goes to Kew, he will look stuff up for me.   
Anyone else visiting Kew in the meantime with a little time to spare would be much appreciated! - All the info I have about this bloke, David Duncan 2, is all in the initial post.

The Liverpool link you have given points me back to the Kew archives - apparently Merchant Navy records have been gathered there for the times I want.

It is very tricky and circuitous!!!   ;D ;D    But thanks for taking the interest and time, and thanks for the suggestions.    ;)

Wiggy    :)
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
At least you know now where the records are.

I think if you can't find anyone who is going to Kew ( have you tried asking on the Armed Forces board? I know technically Merchant Navy isn't Armed Forces, but you never know). The NA have I think a list of researchers, they do charge but someone knowing where to look may find things easily without the cost being too extortionate.

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Yep - I put up a request on that board and sent PM to someone from there who seemed to know about these things - but after doing that realized he'd not been on RC for about 4 months - so still waiting a reply there.   ;)

No joy from anyone on that board!   :'(

Wiggy   :)

(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)