Author Topic: WiggyHobbes Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 22632 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: WiggyHobbes Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Just reviewing what I have to date for David senior.

11 births of David to Various Duncan families in Fife between 1791 and 1797 - for some reason the one I latched onto was the one 3/4/1796 - which is David born to David and 'wife' of Sillytown near Auchterderran - the birth record says 'and wife' with no name given.
 (At the time I found this one, I didn't know of earlier children and though David senior was using Scottish naming pattern and naming his first male child after grandfather also David - confused??  I am.   Now we know there is an older male child - Henry, but like you I can't find any Henrys having a son David in Fife at the right time)
There is another David, baptised 14 Aug 1791 Cupar, Fife  to George and Janet (Scott).  (this year would match death age given by his daughter in 1877)
There are a George and a Janet further down the family so this could be right  :-\ - and David 1  could have been fudging his age all his life?!  :-\

- I have found five marriages for 'David' in Fife between 1791 and  1797. -  Just supposing his father's name to have been David also.
 - 2 of them to Elizabeths both in 1797 - have the benefit of names being repeated.  Others were to Catherine, 1794 and 2 Margarets, 1791 and 1795.    Neither of those female names is repeated down the line so I think a bit iffy.    All of them are quite close to Auchterderran which is where I found the baptism record - which I can't prove is the one I want anyway!!      By the way - each succeeding generation has had a David

Hey ho!!   Round and round we go!   ;D

Wiggy    :)

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Those earlier baptisms are new finds Angela - great!     I am not sure sure that these belong to the right family - are you???   Just double checking doncha know.    I suppose they could have been gone to their own nests by 1841.

Hi Wiggy

Going to be offline for a while as have lost broadband connection and this link is flakey.....

Those baptisms are definitely yours Wiggy. The follow on from the marriage in 1814 - parents David and Grace Duncan (mariner) - and they continue with one of the children you do know about. Am sending you a PM

Back later I hope
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
I don’t know if Grace would have been 14 at marriage but I don’t think it was impossible If she was 14 at marriage then she would have had to gain permission from her parents to marry there doesn’t seem to be mention of this on the marriage details you have and it wasn’t by special licence so something is clearly amiss.
Her age at death was what the informant believed her to be.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
I don’t know if Grace would have been 14 at marriage but I don’t think it was impossible If she was 14 at marriage then she would have had to gain permission from her parents to marry there doesn’t seem to be mention of this on the marriage details you have and it wasn’t by special licence so something is clearly amiss.
Her age at death was what the informant believed her to be.

My gg grandmother married age 15 in 1842 - she claimed to be of 'full age'. There is no doubt about her actual age.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Which Grace are we talking about ??? Wiggy thinks the mother was born in 1794 so marriage in 1814 would have meant she was 20 - could easily have been 21.

The daughter Grace was born in 1816 so marriage in 1837 would again mean age 20 or 21.....

Added: Sorry Toni - just reread Wiggy's later post  :-[ The original post had Grace as born in 1794......
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
I am not sure which Grace she is referring to the one with possible birth in 1801
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Grace wife of David I'm talking about!!      Grace's given age was 40 in 1841 census - but in 1851 census she is give as born about 1798, i.e. 52 - can't find her yet - - - -    and when she died a year later the age given concurs with that.  Was she fibbing in 1841??

And just to add insult to injury - looking at the stuff I've recorded on the family tree, I have a birth and baptism date down as 1794!!!    :o :o   Wonder where I got that from - another rellie or IGI??  more checking! . . . . . . .

1841 Census reference which I've had great trouble seeing is -  HO107 piece 271 Folio 16 Page 26  (Once again thanks to Kris.)  this will find Grace at home with some of the children - we know David was serving on a Navy ship at the time.  'Cockatrice'  I do believe.
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 11:59 BST (UK) »
The ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 for any person over the age of 14 so in reality she could be 44 and not 40 in 1841

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
Nope - can't find where that came from and I don't think t is right either.  Don't know why but I just don't think 1794 is correct.     As Inspector Barnaby - or someone - says, 'it's in me waters'!

Toni - that makes sense then!   But I still can't see her being baptised (or even born) about 1798-1801.  by whatever spelling!   did they change the system by 1851 do you know??

Edit to add   Grace is in 1841 census as Duncen     

also found out who the giver of info for Grace's death was - her neighbour, Joan Westlake - as seen in 1851 census!
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)