Author Topic: Great-grandfather in Territorial Force  (Read 693 times)

Offline kevarms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Joseph Gartland, Armagh, c. 1930
    • View Profile
Great-grandfather in Territorial Force
« on: Wednesday 29 September 10 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've just stumbled across my great-grandfather's service record in the Territorial Force. I had previously thought he spent the whole of WW1 working as a miner. It's very interesting reading as it's the first time I've found an ancestor's service record. I have a few questions that somebody may be able to help with...

1) I know he was with the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, initially with 3/5th, then 2/5th. Then he was transferred to the Reserves whilst going back to work as a miner. What is the third unit listed below? Also, why are there 3 units listed here but 4 dates?

2) He enlisted in May 1915, aged 19 yrs 6 months. Why wouldn't he have been drafted or enlisted sooner? Would his work as a miner have something to do with it (important war work?). Or his height perhaps? He was fit, but very short  (5'1")

3) There is a sheet dated 1924 that states he was transferred from "Supplementary Reserve (Category C) to Royal Army Service Corps. Very strange... does that mean he had to go back into the army? EDIT: I've just noticed the printed "from" has been crossed out and "into" hand-written in. Still I'm puzzled as he was in the KOYLI not the RASC.

4) His discharge sheet  describes his Military Character as "Indifferent". Is that bad or normal? His charge sheet is pretty impressive.

5) Regarding his charge sheet, he seems to have been persistently AWOL. His last charge was for 4 days AWOL for which he received 4 (or could be 14) days RPN.  What is RPN?

Thanks in advance,
Armstrong: West Yorkshire, Brierley Hill
Dyson: Bolton
Farrar/Farrer: Bradford
Gartland: Co. Armagh
Green: Kippax (Yorks)
Hart: Armagh City
Webster: Hartwell (Northants)

Online mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great-grandfather in Territorial Force
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
1st Query...Theres a ditto mark under 3/5th he would have stayed with that Batt

Hes a Volunteer...conscription didnt come in until 1916...Have you got his name and number? I can then have a look at the record on Ancestry  Ive got the history of KOYLI Territorials my rellies lived at Allerton Bywater at this time.

Class W Reserve was introduced in June 16 by Army Order 203/16. They were ‘for all those soldiers whose services are deemed to be more valuable to the country in civil rather than military employment’. Men in these classes were to receive no pay from army funds and were not to wear uniform. They were liable at any time to be recalled to the colours. From the time a man was transferred to Class W, until being recalled to the Colours, he was not subject to military discipline.

Did he serve overseas??

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline kevarms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Joseph Gartland, Armagh, c. 1930
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 September 10 02:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ady, I didn't realise conscription was introduced so late in the war.
My great-grandfather was Herbert Armstrong and his number was 4301. Ancestry is where I stumbled on his record.
I don't think he served overseas. His charge sheet has him at Doncaster then Clipstone. After his transfer to Class W reserve in Aug 1916 he married in Mar 1917 and his first child was born in Jan 1918.
Armstrong: West Yorkshire, Brierley Hill
Dyson: Bolton
Farrar/Farrer: Bradford
Gartland: Co. Armagh
Green: Kippax (Yorks)
Hart: Armagh City
Webster: Hartwell (Northants)

Online mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 September 10 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes according to Record he served at home didnt go overseas...looks like he kept going back to Castleford as his charge sheet mentions he was awol up there.
That bit with RASC wonder if he stayed in Territorials for a bit of extra cash...I think that it confirms he was in RASC for a little while.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.