Author Topic: deserted settlements of glassary parish  (Read 19438 times)

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: deserted settlements of glassary parish
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 February 12 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Kilmahumaig Farm is mentioned above. It is on the hill after the road leaves the immediate vicinity of the Crinan Canal and makes for the fork to Crinan Harbour or the Canal end. Its barns have been turned into very cosy holiday lets so, if visiting, there is somewhere to stay.

Offline Loonsong1790

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Angus. Our trip is planned for mid-June and I will definitely visit Kilmahumaig. I would LOVE to know how to pronounce some of the places I'll be visiting! Could you be any help? ???

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Quite happy to help with pronnciation. Any names in particular? Don' get paranoid about it though as folks will understand. Angus

Offline Loonsong1790

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Wonderful!
I'll put a list together. :) Thanks so much!

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 00:14 BST (UK) »
Good idea perhaps to put the list in a message [seeabove], perhaps with an email and them we can to and fro without blocking the board and driving everyone mad. Angus

Offline Amber2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm traveling to Scotland in April and am trying to track down any record of my Currie ancestors in or near Glassary Parish. The earliest record I have is of John Currie being married to Mary McAlpine in Glassary on 24 December 1791. I have been told that when they were married, Mary lived on Lagg Farm near Kilmartin Valley and John lived Balliemore Farm.

I would greatly appreciate any information you may be able to pass along about these farms or John and Mary. Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott. Have just noted your post but not sure when it was placed. I am doing family history on Curries and am a descenent of John Currie and Mary McAlpine. Perhaps you could get in touch?

Ila Currie

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ila

I am sure you know that the Curries in Kintyre are generally descendants of the MacMhuirich [McVurrich etc] hereditary bards to the Lords of the Isles. That applied from the1220s to sometime after the forfeiture of the Lordship in 1493. The same line continued a bards to Clanranald until almost 1800. The name was simply anglicised as Currie at some pint. I am trying to piece together the whole story and wonder if your family history or tradition has made that link? Angus

Offline Amber2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Angus, thank you for you`r reply re Currie research.I am just in the very early stages, and at the  moment concentrating on researching immediate family. Curries(Currys) appear to have lived  in  the mid Argyll area. Old settlements such  Uila,(perhaps around the present day Bridgend area of Kilmichael Glassary), Gallanach,Balliemore Aird and Carrick are mentioned together with Lochgair. The earliest information that I have is Peter Curry, married to Christian Thomson (Uila). No dates given but they had a daughter born 1771 who married Peter Curry (Gallanach),  one of four children of ?Curry who married Catherine MacDougall(Morar). Another of their children, John,(Balliemore) married Mary McAlpine(?Uila) and it is from that branch that I am descended.It appears that a number of John and Mary`s family emigrated to Ontario probably in the early 1800s.They had a son Neil,born 1809 who remained in Scotland and married Isabella McEwan.They lived at Carrick where my g.grandfather Ronald Currie was born.It has always been something of a mystery as to where the "Curries" came from originally as you can see way back a Currie married a Currie.There are many Curries on the island of Islay and also the Island of Bute,but as far as I am aware, I am not related to them.There are also many Curries in Ireland.One little twist which my late father had discovered was a memorial at Lochgair to a Joseph Curry who "perished" there aged 21 in 1818. He had been a student at Glasgow University and came from Derry in Ireland. The memorial was erected by his fellow students which suggests perhaps he died very suddenly but also was not resident to the  area. I am the last Currie from my particular branch, which makes me very  interested to see if I can uncover any more about the family origins.....Ila