Author Topic: Newspapers  (Read 2814 times)

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Newspapers
« on: Thursday 07 April 05 16:30 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to find some on-line record of old newspapers.  Recently, I read somewhere that you could search (for a fee) old Scottish newspapers but I can't find my source.  Any help there??
Thanks
Gary Canada
Researching family in the Borders area...
Davidson's of Innerleithen & Galashiels<br />Murray, Stevenson<br />Walker, Craig, Tait, Scot, Turnbull.<br />Fairfields of Gilnahirk, Co. Down Ireland<br />Morrey's from Oxfordshire<br />Collins from banbury, norwich, norfolk

Offline MJDickson

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Newspapers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 05 10:06 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this helps or not. The Border Magazine, an Illustrated monthly was put out as a bound annual by John Menzies & Co, Edin.Glasg. Aberdeen etc. Edited by William Sanderson.  I have a copy of Vol.Xii (Jan-Dec 1907)
It has obits, poetry, portraits, scenery, and news items. I have found connections with some of my ancestors through it, plus background info re the mills and border history.  Happy to look up a name/topic for you, but it is only one book. Regards
Borders:Brown, Walls, Harrower, Allan, Scrimagour, , Cochrane, Turnbull, Seymour, Renton, Scott, Beattie.  Ribchester:King, Eastham. 
USA: Meserve, Bumford

Offline BobtheBee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 05 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Scotsman Newspaper has a digital archive covering the years 1817-1900 at

http://www.archive.scotsman.com/

Bob.
Scotland - Blaikie, Carr, Jamieson, Alexander, Chisholm
Nottinghamshire - Smith, Gabb, Simpson, Dyer
Gloucestershire - Gabb, Davies
Norfolk - Nelson
Northumberland/Durham - Davison, Scott
Wales - Shaw
USA - Pratt
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline RedCoat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for your reply!
I have one mystery that I am trying to solve.  James Davidson died on the 3rd of June 1840 at the age of 80 years.  Somehow we cannot locate his DOB.  I have searched the Scottish government records and as James was a common name, unable to locate it for sure.  I was hoping to find, perhaps, a published obit....is there anything in your borders book that might help??
Thanking you in advance. 
ps James was the husband of Janet Nicol and was buried in the Innerleithen Graveyard.
regards
gary
Davidson's of Innerleithen & Galashiels<br />Murray, Stevenson<br />Walker, Craig, Tait, Scot, Turnbull.<br />Fairfields of Gilnahirk, Co. Down Ireland<br />Morrey's from Oxfordshire<br />Collins from banbury, norwich, norfolk