Author Topic: Ships names help needed  (Read 8408 times)

Offline the raven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SHIPS NAMES HELP NEEDED
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I think the middle one could be Temeraire.

Jen :)

hi jen ,
on checking that name out on a ships website that particular named ship wasnt launched until 9 May 1876 ,the ship my man was on is dated july 1837,
unless there is another ship with that name ,which i cant find 

leonard
griffiths
roberts
mummery
gillick

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ships names help needed
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonard

If I can jump in, there was another ship of the same name launched in 1798 and sold for breaking up in 1838. This is the 'Fighting' Temeraire immortalised by Turner in his famous painting.

Martin

Offline the raven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
martin ,jump in anytime
thanks will go searching about that one
griffiths
roberts
mummery
gillick

Offline pcamore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 October 10 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonard,
I was going to put in that the first was Hero and 2nd Temeraire.
But i got so hooked into reading what you and Martin were talking about. He really does know a lot about the CG/RN very interesting and informative
Colmore, Worsley, Snell, Bambury, Ewart

Offline the raven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 07 October 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
hello pcamore ,
yes martin is a mine of information on these subjects   ,and im  eternaly grateful for his help and to everyone who has the time to help members like me who dont have a clue half the time  what there doing or the resources to do it ,
now that i know about the coastguard angle ,i hvae a friend who works in my local c/g station so i will badger him for more info .

leonard
griffiths
roberts
mummery
gillick

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 October 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Raven,you wrote that your sailor was on HMS Temeraire for a short time in 1837.Between 1836 and 1638 the Temeraire was used as a recieving ship,where new recruits were housed before being assigned to a crew.She was broken up in 1838.Turners famous painting The Fighting Temeraire shows her being towed to the breakers yard.She was the second in line behind the Flagship Victory at the Battle Of Trafalgar.Hope this is of some use.

Seoras.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 October 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry that should read between 1836 and 1838
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline the raven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 October 10 14:00 BST (UK) »

hi
Seoras   he was on board from 16 july 1837 until 8 aug 1837 before doing a stint in the coastguards , ive seen the paiting by turner and its outstanding

leonard
griffiths
roberts
mummery
gillick

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 October 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonard,it would appear from that info that he was a new recruit at that time.However before being broken up she was for a short time re-commisioned.For what purpose I haven't been able to find out.I imagine Admiralty records would be your next port of call.Good luck with it.

Seoras.