Author Topic: Peoples family, Ballyrattan, Moville  (Read 10150 times)

Offline WilliamM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peoples family, Ballyrattan, Moville
« on: Friday 23 February 07 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on children of John Peoples and Margaret Baird: Mary Elizabeth, Isaac, George, Robert, James and Sarah Jane.  They emigrated to the Boston area of the United States from Ballyrattan, Moville, County Donegal.

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Peoples family, Ballyrattan, Moville
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 07 16:43 GMT (UK) »
1910 Census  Somerville Ward 1, Middlesex, Massachusetts
George Peoples
Age in 1910: 36 Born Ireland abt 1874
Relation to Head of House: Head 
Father and Mother born Ireland 
Wife  Daisy A 31 born abt 1879 born Mass. Father bn Mass. Mother bn Canada
Year of Immigration: 1895 
Children born Mass.
George C Peoples 7 
Ruth E Peoples 5 
R Arthur Peoples 2 
Ernest Peoples 6/12 

James Peoples
Age  35 bn  abt 1875 Ireland father & mother bn Ireland
Year of Immigration: 1897
 Wife: Robertta bn Scotland parents bn Scotland immigrated 1898
Children
James A Peoples 1 8/12
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 07 10:34 GMT (UK) »
William,

Welcome to Rootschat. Do you have any more information on the family (births, age at emigration, etc) that might help pinpointing them? I tried to have a look for John and Margaret and couldn't find any who would fit.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 07 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but found this information. . .

George Peoples married Daisy A. McIntyre in Boston in 1901.

James Peoples married Roberta Gerrard in Boston in 1903.

Sarah Jane Peoples married Edward Cooper in Somerville in 1909.

Robert Peoples married Sarah Ann Henderson in Somerville on June 24, 1908.

I didn't see a marriage record for Isaac & Mary E.
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline WilliamM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.  Those mentioned seem to be the right family.  I have an address for Isaac Peoples in West Somerville, so the area is right.
The full extent of my information is:

George Peoples born May 11 1872, married October 16 1901
James Peoples born November 23 1873, married February 18 1903
Sarah Jane Peoples born February 4 1878
Robert Peoples born March 8 1880, married June 24 1908
Mary Elizabeh Peoples born January 19 1884
Isaac Peoples born June 8 1888

They emigrated from Londonderry, probably in early 1900s.  There were four brothers and sisters who stayed in Donegal:

William John Peoples born January 24 1876
Margaret Ann Peoples born January 12 1882
Rebecca Peoples born March 30 1886
Arthur Peoples born May 31 1890

Any further information would be be very welcome.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
William,

I started with Isaac, and I think I found him in Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts. I will start with his passenger record: He came over on the Parisian into Boston on May 11, 1912. He was 23 and a farmer. He lists his last residence as Castlecary and nearest relative in Ireland is John Peoples, Castlecary, Ballyrattan, County Donegal and his final destination is Somerville.

In chronological order, next would be his WWI draft reg card: He lives at 80 Cornwall Ave, Somerville, birthdate 6 June 1890, born in Moville, Donegal, a clerk at Atlantic Printing in Boston, he's married and has a partial disability, medium height, medium build, brown hair, blue eyes. I can't read line 4.

Now on to the 1920 census: He is in Somerville, on Spencer Ave in the house of William Dougall,59,  his FIL, who was born in Ireland. There is also his wife Elizabeth, 54, b. Ireland, son William, 24, born Mass, SIL Isaac, 33, daughter Eleanor, 34, born Mass, and grandson Wallace, 1 1/2, born Mass. Isaac is listed as a brakerman on a streetcar.

1930: Still in Somerville, on Raymond ave, he rents his home for $37 a month and owns a radio. He is 41, born Northern Ireland, immigrated 1912, is a guard but I can't read where. With him is wife Eleanor M., 44, Wallace L., 11 and Paul E, 4. Living next door are his MIL and FIL.

And lastly on Isaac is his Social Security Death Index: Here it lists bday as 8 Jun 1888, died 22 Dec 1975, last residence Somerville, Middlesex, Massachusetts.

Eleanor died 14 Jan 1973 in Somerville. Wallace L. was born 11 Aug 1918 and died 1 Aug 1992 in Barnstable, Massachusetts. Paul E was born 8 Jun 1925 and died 28 Feb 1989 in South Berwick, York, Maine.

I need to run and get my kids off to school. I will search for the others in a bit.

Kath

Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
William,

Bear with me, but my computer is slow. I found James Peoples in Somerville in the 1920, married, but living as a lodger in the home of James Henderson, with his kids but not his wife. I would assume this is his wife's family? He is a policeman and immigrated 1903. His kids are Evelyn I, 10, Elmer J., 4 10/12, and Grace, 2 1/2.

In 1930, Robert is living on Broadway in Somerville, married to Clara E., 50 born in Maine. He was 25 at first marriage and she was 19. With them are Robert G, 18, James E, 14 and Grace E, 13. Robert is an inspector.

His WWI draft reg card has him married to Sarah, birthdate 15 March 1880, conductor for a railroad, medium height and build, blue eyes, brown hair.

I found a death record for a Robert Peoples in Front Royal, Warren, Virginia, born 17 Jun 1911, Social Security number in Massachusetts, died Jan 1982. That might be his son. And I found a death record for James E. Peoples, born 18 Apr 1915 in Mass, died 8 Aug 1997 in Arlington, Middlesex, Mass.

I am going to move on to the next family. It's confusing searching, as they appear to all be in Somervile, and their kids have the same names, so I am trying to do one family at a time.

Kath

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
I had a little trouble posting that last message. I don't know if there was a problem with Rootschat or not, but. Anyway, I also found some info on George. In 1900, I have him listed in Somerville as a boarder and all info is unknown. I found his WWI draft reg card, but it is almost unreadable. It is in Roxbury, Suffolk, MA, he is born May 4, 1873, his wife is Daisy anne, and I think it says he is a butcher.

I can't find hide nor hair of this family in 1920 or 1930. Let me search for James now.

Kath

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
Funny, in the 1920 I found James on Spencer Ave, just a few houses from his brother. He owns his home. With him is Roberta (says born England here, parents born Scotland), James, 11, and Marion E., 7. He and his wife were both naturalized in 1907. He was a policeman with a railway company.

I found his immigration record. He sailed into Boston aboard the Peruvian on 15 April 1898. He is from Ballyrattan, he paid passage himself and he has $30 on him.

In 1930 he is in Arlington, Middlesex, Mass, with Robert, James and Marion. He owns his home and it is worth $8000. He also owns a radio. He's a starter at the railroad and his son is an accountant in the rubber industry. They most definitely have their ages wrong, listing the parents at 43 and 41.

Let me take a gander for the sisters.

Kath