« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 00:08 BST (UK) »

Offline Cawaja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BERRY
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 01:19 BST (UK) »
Sue,
  I was interested in your info on Thomas Berry b. 1747 m. 1772 Mary Pringle d/of John Pringle

I am researching the Pringle family of Cavan, Ire
Recently I found their marriage licence & bond:
  "Marriage Licence & Bond ---Berry (Thomas) and Mary Pringle granted =21st Sept 1772. Now all men by these presents that we Thomas Berry of Berry Mountain and George Pringle of Mulnagerman, Gent, both of the Co. of Cavan and Dioces of Kilmore are held and firmly bound unto the Right Revd. Denison Lord Bishop of Kilmore in the sum of the two hundred pounds to be paid to the said Lord etc etc, by these presents sealed with our seals and dated this 21st day of September in the year of our Lord, 1772.
   The conditions of this obligation si such that whereas Licence of marriage is granted by the above Lord Bishop to the above Bound Thomas Berry and Mary Pringle of the parish of Drumlane in the above Dioces. If therefore there appears not any impediment by reason of affinity consanguity precontracted or otherwise that may hinder the said marriage and if they have obtained the consent of their parents and guardians (if any they have) and if they don't proceed to the said marriage clandestantly but public in the face of the church where one of them resides that then the above obligation be nul and void otherwise to remain in full force and value in law.
    Signed sealed and delivered Thomas Berry in the presence of George Pringle, Will Fox."

George Pringle is named above as a parent or guardian of Mary Pringle. Do you recall the source for Mary's father being John.  Her brother Robert lived at lived in Clifton Hill, Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan.
God Bless, George
  G

Offline Cawaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 01:27 BST (UK) »
Sue,
  You mention Alex Berry m. his cousin Mary Ann Irwin 1833.
How are they related.
Who are Alex's parents & Grandparents?
I have a Mary Pringle m. Wm Irwin of Curry Mahone, Co Cavan 1748.
--God Bless, George

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
Because I haven`t got time at the moment to answer your questions but will get back to you very soon, this info should keep you happy for awhile.

The BERRY family tree I use and is available on the Berry Family DNA blog http://berrydna.blogspotcom/ to print out.

Berry of Berrymount and BERRY OF Croghan, the Unedited extract by LORTON WILSON and no copywrite. We can thank PADDY BERRY for making this info available, he has his own site on the net with two other IRISH BERRY FAMILIES, also research by LORTON WILSON, being his wifes family.

God bless Lorton Wilson for reseaching the Cavan Berrys as well, although it isn`t a complete family tree, it`s extremely helpful and should answer some of your questions. I`m managed to fill in a few blanks and others branches have sites on the net, such as BREAKEY & STORY families.

Enjoy, Sue.
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/
HUGGINS Rob & Em DAVIS/Bleakley Berry HUGGINS & Ann PRINGLE Eng/ Ire/ Aus
Will WILLIAMS & Charl STONE I.O.W.
MATHEWS Thos A & Mary DEVINE Louth Ire/Aus.
BELL Jas Ed & Jane KEARNES Braidwood/ Wagga Wagga
RITCHIE Will & Chris Gowans BOYD/GOWANS/ALLAN/CASKIE SCOT

Offline Cawaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Sue,
  Thanks for replying and sending those websites. I know you are busy at the moment. I am having trouble following it in places. Who did James Berry, son of Thomas & Mary (Pringle) marry?
--George

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 October 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
George is the forth son of Thomas BERRY & Mary PRINGLE.

JAMES BERRY son THOMAS & MARY married firstly MARY ANNE FARIS secondly ANNE LEVINGE MOORE.

Thomas and Mary( nee Pringle) their 5th child was Elizabeth Jane/ Jane Elizabeth who married William IRWIN of Bilberry Hill.

William & Jane/Elizabeth IRWIN had a daughter Mary Ann IRWIN (born 1812 , died 16 January 1890) who married 7 Dec 1835/ 3? Alexander BERRY ( died Sept 1869), Alexanders parents; James BERRY ( died 1857 ) and Ann Levinge MOORE.

For Mary Ann Irwin and Alexander Berry to be cousins their parents had to be brother and sister as was the case with James and Jane BERRY ( parents; Thomas Berry ( Died 1835 ) marr. 21 Sept 1772, Mary PRINGLE ( born 1751 IGI, father John Pringle of Ballyline, Co Cavan & LORTON WILSON)

Don`t know who are the parents of William Irwin Esq, coroner of Bilbury Hill, Cavan who married Jane/Elizabeth Berry(1788-died 25th JULY 1876, aged 88yrs)?

It isn`t an easy family free to understand and the beginning, only a guide really. Thats why I would appreciate any input as it seams to me that all the main families intermarried, therefore on each others family trees.
Thanks to this great site, we should all beable to help each other.

I don`t know who the the Mary Pringle is, who married William Irwin in 1748.

To George,
I`d be very interested to hear more about your Pringle family tree as the Pringles also comes into the Huggins tree.

BLAKELY/BLEAKLEY BERRY HUGGINS ( dec`d by sons marriage 1855) married ANN/ELIZABETH PRINGLE, parents unknown.
Blakely`s parents were Andrew HUGGINS and Margaret BLAKELY ( marr 1774).

The BLEAKLEY & HUGGINS families in KILLESHANDRA area intermarried three times and used the surnames Bleakley & Berry as christian names, like other descendants.  My husband has Berry as a christian name, like his grandfather, Bleakley Berry Huggins and his grandfather, who married ANN/ELIZ. PRINGLE, above.
 We descend to the Berry family through JANE BERRY ( born 1748 )who married in 1769 Killeshandra, William BLEAKLEY( born 1744?)and had 9 children. William & Jane`s son William Bl.(1773-1850 ) married 1817 Isabella HUGGINS (1777-1862).

Jane BLEAKLY nee Berry( b 1748, sister of THOMAS ( b1747)who married Mary Pringle, and MARGERY (b1752)who married 1773, THOMAS BERRY) parents were THOMAS BERRY ( brother of Alexander B. who died single 1811 and left Berrymount to THOMAS.) and MARY REDFERN( born abt 1725).

ALEXANDER BERRY & MARY ANN IRWIN had a son JAMES ALEXANDER BERRY of Mullaghmore who sadly hanged himself on the 20 FEB 1897. James married  21 March 1877, ELIZABETH FINLAY ( father JOHN FINLAY Esq. dec`d, Aldlogher.)
Elizabeth and James had a son, ALEXANDER BERRY born 17th December 1879.
You can`t help wondering, what terrible thing or event, caused a man to hang himself?

I hope I answered all the questions?

Looking foward to getting some feed back.

God bless,
Sue.
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/

Offline Cawaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 October 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Sue,
   Thanks for clarifying for me the relationship between the Berry & Irwin families. I found the following interesting 1853 court record involving the Late Thomas Berry Coroner. Thought I'd pass it on, especially because one of the jurors was "T. Pringle".

The 1772 marriage bond record I found for Mary Pringle & Thomas Berry, of BerryMount, referred to George Pringle (of Mulnagerman) as her parent or guardian. I had thought he was her father, but he infact might have been a close relative, which makes it possible for this Mary to be the d/of John & Lorton (Wilson) Pringle, if they were deceased. Or we might be talking about a different Pringle family.
My relatives George & Robert Pringle lived at Clifton Hill, Killeshandra District, Co. Cavan, which put them in the same area as your Berry family.
--George Russell, Listowel, Ontario, Canada

1853 newspaper article:
Source: Co. Cavan; Ireland Newspaper Abstracts: Anglo-Celt newspaper
RECORD COURT, CAVAN.
Friday, Feb. 25, 1853.
(Before Chief Justice Monahan.)
The Right Hon. the Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas took his seat on the bench at ten o'clock this morning, and proceeded (sic) immediately with the appeals.
James Berry, appel. Patrick Lee, respn.
This was against a decree obtained in the lower court for 8l. wages owed to Lee by appellant ..... brother, the late Thomas Berry, Esq., coroner.
Patt LEE examined -- Witness deposed that he had been employed by the late Mr. Thomas Berry at 11£ per day, and that he allowed his wages to run on until it amounted to 13£., 19s. 10d. ; that on the death of Mr. Thomas Berry, his brother, the appellant deposed of the effects ; that he (Lee) applied to Mr. James Berry for the wages owed to him and received in answer to his application the sum of 3£ which left a balance of 10£. 19s . 10d ; appellant said that ought to satisfy him, but he replied he would look for the remainder ; he (Lee), in order to avoid law, offered to take 8£. in lieu of what remained due, which, he supposed, is the reason why the Barrister gave him the decree for the 8£. only ; respondent cannot read or write ; he kept a wooden account (laughter), which he got transcribed.
James BERRY, Esq., appellant, on being examined, stated, that his brother, the late Thomas Berry, died intestate ; that he left very little property to meet his debts, and that he (appellant), at the request of the widow and children, had two auctions held of the effects of deceased ; that the money received at those sales was paid by him to the widow and creditors ; (account of the disbursements produced) ; that, in consequence of having had to do with the affair, he was obliged to pay some of the creditors a considerable sum of his own money that had no money or goods of the deceased to meet respondent's demand.
The Chief Justice affirmed the decree on the ground of appellant having "intermeddled" with the property of the deceased.
The following gentlemen were sworn on the jury in this case: Alexander CLEMENGER,
T. PRINGLE, Francis M'CABE, David KELLETT, Wm. Moore BLACK, Anthony KILROY, David GRIFFITH, Wm. FARIS, Richard O'REILLY, John BEATTY, Alexander KETTYLE(sic), and Thos. PHILLIPS, Esqrs.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 October 10 04:59 BST (UK) »
Thankyou George for that info.

Could you please give me a bit more info about your PRINGLE family, when they were born and died, their parents etc. I don`t seem to have made any progress with that line, although there are PRINGLE`S in the BERRY, HUGGINS & BREAKEY family.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/FergusonsOfIreland/Cavan/Deeds/No251.htm  an indenture of Morgage dated 6th Apr 1872.
It seems to include most of the different families on the Berry tree and mainly gentlemen with seals.

Andrew ARMSTRONG, of Mullenogolman Cavan farmer.
Arthur William BERRY, of Killeshandra, Cavan, gentleman.
James BERRY, of Sanderville Co Cavan Esq.
James BERRY, of Westport, Mayo, gentleman.
John BERRY, of Rockville.
William BERRY, of Berrymount Cavan farmer.
Marcia (widow) & Caroline DAVIS spinster, Dublin.
Isabella and Cherry MOORE, Dublin, spinsters.
James FARIS of Cliftown. Cavan farmer.
Alfred GRIFFITH of Griffith Lodge, Belturbet, Cavan, gentleman.
Ralph MONGOMERY, Ballyconnell, Cavan, postmaster.
Margaret MORTON of the cottage, Belturbet.Cavan.
Moses NETTERFIELD of Leinster Road Rathmines, Dublin, gentleman.
Alexander PRINGLE of Clifton, Cavan, gentleman.
Robert PRINGLE of Clifton, Cavan.

There is Armstrongs on the BERRY & HUGGINS( on this site ) tree. Most of the Irish seem to have populated, America, Canada and Australia, not to mention the West Indies where Robert HUGGINS grew to manhood after being sent there as a child, for health reasons.

Some feed back, please.
Sue.