Author Topic: Coroner's Report 1939  (Read 1676 times)

Offline minersgranddaughter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Coroner's Report 1939
« on: Saturday 02 October 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am researching the men listed on the WW2 Memorial in Banbury, Oxon.

The first man from the town to be killed was Donald Cranston Selby, a 20-year-old Leading Aircraftsman.  He died on 19th December 1939 after being hit by a train while crossing the railway at Fishbourne Halt, Fishbourne, Bosham. 

I have his death certificate and now want to trace the inquest report if possible.  The death certificate says the inquest was held on 22nd December 1939, the certificate itself being received from J W Loader Cooper, Coroner for Sussex.

Can anyone tell me where this coroner's report may be held and how I can get a copy?
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Sproston/Sproson/Sprowson - anywhere
Wilcox - Burslem
Degg - Staffordshire
Bradley - Londonderry, Aston
McGovern - Newcastle, Staffs

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Coroner's Report 1939
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 October 10 16:37 BST (UK) »
The survival of Coroners' records is at best patchy, as they are under no obligation to pass them to the local archive, have an option to destroy them after (I think) 25 years. If they survive this then they are closed for 75 years from the date of the inquest, which would not apply here. If they have survived then they should be at West Sussex Record Office, Chichester. Usually I would suggest that news reports of inquests have a great deasl of sometimes harrowing detail, but in this instance with the death occuring during WW2 and a serviceman being involved, there may have been reporting restrictions in place.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 October 10 17:03 BST (UK) »

If they survive this then they are closed for 75 years from the date of the inquest, which would not apply here.

1939 was 71 years ago.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 October 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
Re Leading Aircraftman  SELBY, DONALD CRANSTON    RAF no 569377   died  20/12/1939 
Buried  Plot 1. Row E. Grave 1.    WEST THORNEY (ST. NICHOLAS) CHURCHYARD

The place of death suggests he probably had connections to a wartime RAF airfield in that area.  I know there was one at Tangmere that has a museum that might be worth contacting, but I believe there were also other airfields at Ford and Thorney Island.

Roy G

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thorney Island looks best bet as West Thorney is virtually within the runway triangle.
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
You are right about the date, must be losing my marbles; thought it was 81 years, and I was born the following year too!Looks as though a paper report is the only hope at present, war time restrictions too.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline steevp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 June 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
I am working on a One Place Study of New Fishbourne and have a transcript of a report in the Portsmouth Evening News for the 22nd Dec 1939 online - please see https://www.dands.uk/nfops/news/news-items-accidents/ and search for Selby

(I also probably have a scan of the newspaper article if anyone is interested

Cheers