Author Topic: Wylde Family from the Commander  (Read 14927 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Wylde Family from the Commander
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 October 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Ive not checked this out yet but wonder if the family may be on Ancestry World tree as it was a promenent Worcester family - you never know how many others may be researching them

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 October 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi carole

I just checked Ancestry putting in  the surname Wylde with  birth & death place as Worcester & all it came up with was 2 pages of Wyldes being researched at Droitwich WOR, I dont know if these would be any use to you

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 October 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

Ive been paying about searching all the references I could think of for the Commardery but have found no reference to the name Wylde as yet & cant go on as my time on this library computer is almost up

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare

ps I was born in Worcester which makes it all the more madening that I cant find anything out
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 October 10 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there...

I did find a woman named Pam who seems to know all about the Wylde from the Commandery in Worcester...
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PamHinks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 October 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole/Phil
Here go's
Thomas Wylde rented the Commandery  for a payment of £40 per year but in 1543 Thomas decided to purchase it and paid four hundred four score and eighteen pounds of good and lawful money of England (legal jargon). The Commandery was kept in the Wylde family for over 200 years.
The Wylds were  a hitherto obscure family who had prospered in the cloth trade and became very wealthy (Thomas was the last of the family to describe himself as "clothier") he was a leading citizen in Worcester, a memeber of the twenty-four or upper chamber of the city council, who served as Baliff in 1547, High Baliff in 1549 and Alderman in 1548 and 1550. He died in 1559 or 1560 and was suceeded by his son Robert.
Robert Wylde seems to have been a rather unpleasant character,  and though a member of the Forty-eight (the lower house of the city council) was frequently at odds with the civic authorities, Thomas Wylde had at his death left land at Pitchcroft valued at £5 per annum "for the erecting  and establishing a free school in the city for the bringing up of youth in their ABC, maths and evensong, and other learning which  should make them ready for the King's Grammer School.
On 21st June 1560 the Chamber Order Book of the city council records that the Baliffs, Alderman and Chamberlains were taking action against Robert Wylde.

Offline PamHinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 October 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
Cont...
"for such land and other things as Thomas Wylde deceased hath given to the City by his testament towards the finding of the school" Robert seems to have paid up when faced with this threat, but in December 1562 he was disenrancised and expelled from the Forty-eight for quarrelsome and abusive behaviour, though he was immediately reinstated on payment of a fine of 10s.
Robert Wylde died in 1607 after having drawn up a will directing that he should be buried in the Cathedral and that there should be erected "a fair tomb for the same, with a learned epitaph upon it", the tomb was to cost at least £30.
This is on the south arcade of the nave, and bears effigies of Robert and his wife Margaret who had died the preious year. He was succeeded by his son Thomas who died in 1610 leaving a young family, and who was buried in the parish church of St Peter the Great.

Thomas Wylde ll's heirs was another Robert (the names Thomas and Robert were given alternatively to the eldest son for many generations - so you may find this helpful). His name appears on the list of the officers who surrendered the Royalist garrison of Worcester to the Parliamentary forces after the seige 

Offline PamHinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 October 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
Cont...3

of the City in 1646. He died in 1650 and was also buried in the parish church of St Peter's. (His tomb slab was removed at the demolition of the church, and can be seen in the Commandery) His son Thomas inherited.

On 23rd August 1651 King Charles ll entered Worcester with his Scottish army, to await reinforcements from Wales. The Commandery was chosen as the Royalist Headquarters, and in it, on the evening of 29th August, with the Parlimentarian bombardment of Fort Royal and Sidbury Gate echoeing around the building, Charles Generals held their Council of War.

On 3rd September Cromwell's force atrttacked the Royalist army at Powick, driving it back into the City. Charles, and his Commander-in Chief, the Duke of Hamlton, led a counter-attack from the Sidbury Gate, up against the Parliamentarian forces on Red Hill and Perry Wood. The attack was unsuccessful and the Royalists were forced back into the City. The Commandery grounds saw fierce fighting, in the midst of which Hamilton had his thigh shattered by a musket ball, and was brought into the Commandery, where he lingered in agony iuntil he died on 9th September.
The defeated Charles had meantime escaped through Worcester to Ombersley, and thence to Boscobel House, Shropshire.

Offline PamHinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 October 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Cont....4

After the Battle of Worcester (in which the Commandery seems to have survived undamaged) the Wylds continued to live the lives of country gentlemen, as far as this was possible. As the City grew the orientation of the house was changed, so that the main front faced towards Fort Royal Hill and the country beyond, with an avenue of trees leading to a new entrance from Wyldes Lane. The town ditch ran between the west range of the Commandery and the City Walls. This could be very offensive in hot weather; in June 1643 Robert Wylde ll complained of it to the City Council. Because of his proximity it seems this range was abandoned for living, and was let out as tenements and workshops.
Thomas Wylde lV was one of the two Members of Parliament of the City of Worcester from 1701-1727. Standing for Parliament was an expensive undertaking in the eighteenth century if the election was contested, and it is said that Thomas impoverised himself as a result. In 1695 his father, Robert Wylde lV, had inherited an estate in Glazeley, Shropshire, from a distant cousin, and it seems that the family spent increasing periods of time there, letting the Commandery.     

Offline PamHinks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 October 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
cont...5
Among the church plate of St Peter the Great was a paten and almsdish bequeathed by Mrs Anna Dennis of the Commandery in 1721. She was Thomas Wylde's maternal aunt.
The financia position of the Wyldes cointinued to deteriorate; the Commandery was morgaged for £1500 and in 1764 the property was sold

I have put some photo's on my facebook if you click seach for Pam Hinks and then into my photos you will see a few photo's mI will try and get some more when I go out and add them on

Take Care

Pam