Author Topic: Chindits 1943  (Read 13637 times)

Offline bamboo43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Chindits 1943
« on: Sunday 03 October 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am new on the forum and have been researching the Chindits of 1943. My Grandfather, Arthur Leslie Howney became one of these men in 1942 and went into Burma to fight behind Japanese lines.

I have a fairly large amount of information now for this operation and am looking for other families whose father's or Grandfather's fought with the group in 1943.

I have posted heavily on other forums, but have come on Rootschat to find more connections to what was an exceptionally brave group of soldiers in WW2.

Many thanks.

Offline stel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chindits 1943
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 October 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
I am also trying  to find out the reason for a mentioned  in dispatches medal awarded to Capt Robert Lodge  in Burma,but have  no luck even at Kew as  the record s there were missing.Any information would be  appreciated. Stel

Offline bamboo43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Stel,

I am in the same frustrating position with a Military medal award. Apart from the WO373 series at Kew and the London Gazette entry I can't think of many other avenues to follow.

I was chasing the only MM award to an Other rank for the 1943 Chindits (William Robert Jordan) for general information on the subject. But now I find he was part of the 6 soldier unit that my Grandfather was captured with in Burma.

Steve.

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
I have a personal account of my exhusbands great Uncle Alex Edwards about his time in Burma with the Chindits. I'll dig it out again if anyone is interested.

KBG
Aberdeen: Coulthard, Chilcott, Bartie, Wallace, Clark, Robertson, Warrander, Hunter, Brown
Lincolnshire: Chilcott, Barratt, Robinson, Twidale, Beacock

Offline bamboo43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 October 10 12:03 BST (UK) »
HI KBG,

I am very interested in anything for the 1943 Chindits, but it would be great to hear about the following year too. 1944 Chindits tend to be more prevalent as they were flown in by plane and glider and were generally younger soldiers. They would be in their late 80's about now.

Thanks for the offer KBG.

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 20:59 GMT (UK) »
hi.
i am trying to find information about my husbands late father, he served with the 14th army in burma,.
from what he told us later in life they fought hand to hand combat on a tennis court with the japanese .as far as we know he was awarded the burma star, his name was joseph alfred barker from hull east yorkshire. my husband wondered if he was one of the chindits as he wore a bush hat like the australians wear with a black cat on the side, he remembers seeing this when his father came home. his father joined the army as a boy and served for over 23years. any help with this query will be greatfully appreciated.
 my kindest regards..........jean........

Offline bamboo43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Jean,

The battle over the tennis court took place at Kohima. It was an intense, almost trench warfare situation over the distance of the District Commissioner's tennis court in the grounds of his bungalow residence.

It is unlikely that Joseph was a Chindit, as hardly any of the 1943 men who survived that operation were fit enough to re-join the war. The 1944 Chindits were fighting behind enemy lines at the same time as the battle of Kohima was taking place.

It is impossible to be sure of Joseph's regiment, but I will look up which units were at Kohima and get back to you.

Steve.

Offline gemma o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
HI STEVE.
 thank you for the reply to my message, can you find out for me what the hat and black cat meant, my husband says he his positive it was cat. sorry i have no other information to go on we do not have his regiment no, but he definitly was in 14th army  glad of any help ..
 my kindest regards.........jean............. :)

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 22:32 GMT (UK) »
That'll be 17th Indian Light Division.

The British Army units were:

9th Border
1st W Yorks
129th Field Rgt (RA)
82nd LAA

Last two are Royal Artillery.

So, just a matter of finding out which was positioned around the Deputy Commisioners bungalow and tennis court.

Pete