Author Topic: Ireland Family Ballynultagh, Mullinacuff County Wicklow  (Read 9893 times)

Offline mjpumpkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ireland Family Ballynultagh, Mullinacuff County Wicklow
« on: Monday 04 October 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
I have traced an ancestor, through Griffiths Valuation, William IRELAND  back to 1853 as a tenant farmer on the Fitzwilliam Estate. His son also William Ireland b.1845 - 1931 went to Dublin in 1861 to become a 3yr  appentice to Nicholas Hopkins (grocer). Subsequently William Ireland became a successful tea and wine merchant in Baggot Street, Dublin. He served on many boards in the city and was elected as an Alderman to the Dublin Corporation and also became a J.P. He was involved in the forming of the Grocers and Purveyors Association and, reading in newspaper articles of the time, he became their first chairman. Back to his father William Ireland of Ballynultagh, Mullinacuff - I visiting the area next May and want to research as much information before the visit so I can succesfully trace this ancestoral line. Does anyone know IRELAND family in this area and help me in my research or advise of local records I can research myself.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Family Ballynultagh, Mullinacuff County Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Do you know what religion your Ireland family were ?

RC records are available in the National Library in Dublin, most of the Church of Ireland records are in the the Representative Church Body Library, Rathfarnham.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mjpumpkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
They were protestant Church of Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
I dont know if you've already seen these but there are a few Ireland families living in Co. Wicklow including one in the townland of Ballynultagh on the 1901 and 1911 census returns.

see : 1901  1911

Mullinacuff is the civil parish, and probably the Church of Ireland parish - I'll check what dates are available later on.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mjpumpkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane. I have seen the 1901 and 1911 census records but cannot as yet connect them to my ancestors. William Ireland b. 1845 had a sister and brother who lived in Dublin at the family business address and appear in the 1901 and 1911 census records. I am not sure if there were any other siblings which stayed in the area. Looking at a baptism record which I found on line William Ireland was baptised (Parish Mullinacuffe) Jan 1845 and his father was William Ireland, Farmer, and mother Elizabeth.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 October 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane. I have seen the 1901 and 1911 census records but cannot as yet connect them to my ancestors. William Ireland b. 1845 had a sister and brother who lived in Dublin at the family business address and appear in the 1901 and 1911 census records. I am not sure if there were any other siblings which stayed in the area. Looking at a baptism record which I found on line William Ireland was baptised (Parish Mullinacuffe) Jan 1845 and his father was William Ireland, Farmer, and mother Elizabeth.

Have you marriage certs for the two couples ?
i.e William & Elizabeth (Dublin) and Henry & Sarah (Wicklow)

These would show father's name and occupation - and could connect them. Maybe  William and Henry are brothers ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline mjpumpkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 October 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
No I will try to get hold of these. Thanks of your help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 October 10 12:10 BST (UK) »
the two best matches on the BMD Index for the marriages that I see are :

Name: William Ireland
 Registration District: Balrothery
 Event Type: Marriage
 Year: 1877
 volume : 7 / page : 363

Name: Henry Ireland
 Registration District: Shillelagh
 Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1888
 volume : 2 / page : 765

The registration district of Shillelagh would include the townland of Ballynultagh.

Balrothery is North County Dublin, and outside the city - so could fit with his wife's birthplace on the census (Co. of Dublin). It's the only William Ireland marriage that I see around the right time (I'm assuming bride's parish as the most likely place for a marriage).

have not been able to find possible cross-matches yet..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 October 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
the two best matches on the BMD Index for the marriages that I see are :

Name: William Ireland
 volume : 7 / page : 363

found a possible cross-match for William's wife Elizabeth under the name Lizzie :

Name: Lizzie Jane Brien
 Volume : 7 / page : 363

Shane
My Surname Interests