Author Topic: Army Veterinary Surgeon  (Read 985 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army Veterinary Surgeon
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, John Whitmore Garrad, was a vet who signed up with the Bengal Army (9th Light Cavalry) in 1854.

After the Indian Mutiny (or War of Independence!) he was with the British Army at Muttra (1855) and Kurantadhee(1873). He was with the Stud Department, so maybe that's Indian Army or Civil Service?

The Irish Times of 23rd December 1874 has an announcement of his imminent retirement.
The 1881 census has him back home in Colchester.

To date I can find no trace of an Army record or Pension Record.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army Veterinary Surgeon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin

He doesn't appear to have held an army commission. He is listed in a few Harts Army Lists at the end of his career under Bengal Veterinary Department, which was Indian Civil Service, so any records are likely to be in the India Office Archives rather than in Kew. All they record is his first appointment as a Veterinary Surgeon in 1854, and his promotion to 1st Class Veterinary Surgeon, effective 10 March 1869

His appointments do not appear to be listed in the London Gazette, but I did find this - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/26862/pages/3347

Ken

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Army Veterinary Surgeon
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken,

I presume he would have had a pension with the Indian Civil Service?
Strange, as all the other records seem to imply that he was with the British Army.

India Office next, then!

as far as I know he did not marry, neither did he have any offspring.
So no help there!

Kevin
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)