Author Topic: St Ronans Dundee 1932/34  (Read 5546 times)

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Ronans Dundee 1932/34
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help me . Does anyone know of St Ronans home in Dundee for unmarried mother . St Ronans was in Dalkeith Road Dundee . Can anyone tell me how I could find out if a certain person stayed there, and what happened to the children that stayed at St Ronans without their mothers . Any info would be greatly appreciated . Many thanks Rhona

Offline yokerbrian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: St Ronans Dundee 1932/34
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
KELLY (Glasgow), DUNLOP (Ireland, Glasgow), PATERSON (Coatbridge), PATTERSON (Midlothian, Berwickshire), YOUNG (Eastwood), MUIR (Kilmarnock) CAMERON (Stirlingshire, Glasgow, Angus)

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the reply . I have been in contact with the uni and they have no records  of what I am looking for. I have also tried the Episcopal church which ran the home and they say that they cant help me either. Thanks for the info many thanks Rhona

Offline sheila957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 12 15:52 BST (UK) »
Did you get anywhere with your search. I'm also trying to get a hold of any information regarding my birth.  The university did not even reply to my request.

link added -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=594825.msg4451174

Offline rhona2144

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 12 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi , I have had no luck what so ever . I cant believe that there is no info . I got in contact with the episcopal church and they were no good either . I think its disgusting that there is no info . Sorry I cant help . If there is anything else I could help with just ask . Rhona

Offline sheila957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 May 12 01:48 BST (UK) »
If I'd been adopted it would have been easier.  The single mother taboo still exists today after all.

Thanks for your reply

Offline Diva-X

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hi Rhona, only just seen your post.
After finding an entry in my late mother's diary about St Ronan's, I visited the place in Dundee, which in 2004 was a Chartered Surveyor's. they did mention there that if you went to the Dundee City National Archives that there would be some information in there.
I was there to trace my brother who had, I presumed, been given taken there for adoption. Although I didn't find my information there, I DID eventually trace my brother by other means.
If you like i could send you a photograph i took when i went there and i'll try and dig out the recording i made when I spoke to them there.(I was also undertaking a Sound Art bachelors degree at the time).
good luck,
Diva-X

Offline hollyhobby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there! Only just joined and spotted this post. My birth mother was sent to St. Ronans from England in May 1961, gave birth to me in August and eventually left St. Ronans in November, when I was put up for adoption. I contacted the Scottish Adoption Society  (who hold all the Scottish Episcopal adoption records), spoke to a very nice Adoption Worker and was sent copies of my case notes. These gave me a very good insight into my birth mother's life prior to becoming pregnant, details about my father, my birth mother's time at St. Ronans culminating in my birth and eventual adoption.  I don't think that the girls who ended up at St. Ronans had too happy a time of it - being sent away from home in disgrace and then being forced to give their babies up. Thank goodness attitudes have changed now.