Author Topic: FT William Bengal Birth Death help  (Read 5770 times)

Offline ajp1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FT William Bengal Birth Death help
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for some help regarding my 2x Great Grandmother Ellen Goodall born in Fort William Bengal in 1852. I have found 2 results on familysearch.org regarding Ellen and who I assumed was her mother Eliza Goodall. However, the mother seems to have died before the daughter by 5 months or so! Is it possible to be a date error or could there be more to it?

I was thinking of trying to obtain the birth and death certificate but will they have more info on them (e.g. father's rank or occupation, cause of death etc) than the information on the index see below:

Name: Eliza Goodall            
Burial Date: 08 Sep 1851
Burial Place: Fort William, Bengal, India
Death Date: 08 Sep 1851
Death Place:
Birth Date: 1823
Birthplace:
Race:
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: John Goodall
Father's Name:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B39237-2
System Origin: India-EASy
Source Film Number: 498989
Reference Number:
Collection: India Deaths and Burials, 1719-1948

Name: Ellen Eliza Goodall
Baptism/Christening Date: 07 Mar 1852
Baptism/Christening Place: FORT WILLIAM, BENGAL, INDIA
Birth Date: 28 Feb 1852
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: John Goodall
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Eliza
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C75005-8
System Origin: India-EASy
Source Film Number: 498990
Reference Number: v 81 p 32
Collection: India Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me get more info

Thanks

AJP

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: FT William Bengal Birth Death help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 16:19 BST (UK) »

Without seeing the actual documents it's difficult to say whether it is a mis-transcription of the death record.  Looking at FamilySearch pilot,  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start , there are two or three births ascribed to John and Eliza Goodall. It certainly doesn't seem possible that the child would be born 6 months after the mother's death!

Fort William military barracks could mean that the father was either a soldier or a civilian employee of the East India Company until at least 1858 when the British Crown took over the government of the country.

Are you sure of the Eliza whose record you have? There is a marriage record of John Goodall to an Eliza Burton at Kidderpore, Bengal in March 1851. Whether this is the same Eliza whose death record you have it's difficult to say.

Tony

Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline ajp1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 October 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
HI Tony - thanks for your reply.

Not really sure about any of these details. Have been working back from the Irish census: Ellen Cleary nee Goodall age 48 in 1901 and age 58 in 1911. Birthplace in both census is India and Calcutta, India.

I then found Ellen Eliza Goodall born 1852 parents  John and Eliza Goodall, and on Familysearch found a marriage in 1845 at Stone, Stafford of a John Goodall and Eliza Shenton. I thought these were the parents but not so sure now.

Do you think the actual documents will shed more light? If so how do I get them?

AJP

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 October 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
hi,

The 1851 marriage record for Eliza Burton gives her age as 18 and her father as Joseph and there is a birth in Bengal in 1832 to a Joseph & Lydia Burton, so perhaps this is not the lady in the death record.

As Tony suggested a possible military link I have looked but it is somewhat inconclusive! There is a John Goodall who served in Bengal, born ~1825 Ballymitty, Wexford; he joined 1844 and was discharged in 1854; he also had an alias - Robert Walker(!) however there is no mention of a family on the record. I mention it as you line does seem to be in Wexford. He was in the 18th RI Reg. of Foot.

I can't find a birth (or death) in what is available of the military records.

Junev

Offline ajp1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 October 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi junev

Thanks for that info - you're right the wexford link is quite appealing. Incidently, where did you get the info on John Goodall? I would love to see where that leads to and why the alias

AJP

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 October 10 23:12 BST (UK) »

Do you think the actual documents will shed more light? If so how do I get them?

I'd definitely hold off until you've explored all the possibilities and you're certain that the Eliza mentioned is the mother which, given the conflicting dates on the birth and death front, doesn't seem likely. Research does tend to have a habit of sending us down blind alleys!!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 October 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi AJP,

The military records are on FMPast.

Junev

Offline ajp1971

• RootsChat Extra