Author Topic: Death Details - William Lamont DOUGLAS  (Read 4312 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Details - William Lamont DOUGLAS
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Having trouble trying to find the birth & death details of William Lamont DOUGLAS.

According to the Death Cert. of his son Edwin, William was married to Susan CHAPMAN. Edwin's birth was listed as Wirral district, Cheshire, England in June Qtr. 1840 and confirmed by freebdm.

William lived in Quirindi, NSW, in 1865, and in 1888 lived at Conadilly Street, Gunnedah, and was elected an Alderman on the Gunnedah Council in 1885.
Susan died in 1870 in Murrurundi.

Edwin was the only child I could confirm for William Lamont & Susan, although I recently searched Queensland BDM, and found a William Donald Douglas died in 1950 and the parents were William Lamont and Elizabeth Unknown. Have not found a marriage for Elizabeth in NSW or Qld. Found a death of a William L Douglas in 1910 in Granville, NSW, but not sure if it"s the correct one, as I have been unable to confirm his birth & parents in England, and whether Cheshire was his and Susan's birth location.

Hope someone can assist,

Regards,

Wildcats13

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Details - William Lamont DOUGLAS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi wildcats13,

You have a few more relatives than you thought.

Their arrival:

Sep 1854 Lady Ann

DOUGLASS
William, 45, stonemason, native of Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire, parents Peter and Margaret, both dead
Susan, 44, wife, Black Torrington, Devon, parents Joseph and Susannah CHAPMAN, both dead
Joseph, 17, slater and plasterer, Seacombe, Cheshire
Edwin, 14, slater and plasterer, Seacombe, Cheshire
Mary, 11, daughter, Oxton, Cheshire

William, 21, Policeman, Okehampton, Devon, parents William and Susan onboard
Annie, wife, Peterstone(?), Herefordshire, parents James and Anne BASKERVILLE, both dead

They could all read and write, William Snr. was Church of Scotland, William Jnr. a Dissenter, and the others Wesleyan.  They had no relatives in the colony.

1841 Census
Oxton, Cheshire

William DOUGLAS, 30, constable, born Scotland
Sushana, 30, not born in county
William, 7, not born in county
Joseph, 4, born in county
Edwin, 1, born in county

I am struggling to find them in 1851, but will keep looking!

William Jnr and Annie had children in NSW and his name is given as William L - I would say he is the William that you have been following, and that is his death in 1910.

There is a submitted entry on the IGI which gives William Snr's death as 5 July 1862.

Debra

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline terryau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 October 10 01:44 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Not exactly what you are looking for but may be of interest:-
In 1885

Edward Douglas of Quirindi had one acre, two horses, eight cows (milking?) and two pigs.

terry

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 October 10 02:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
This would be the death referred to above as a submitted entry pertaining to the death of WILLIAM Snr.

REG 4866 In 1862  DOUGLAS,  WILLIAM  AGE 53 YEARS  DIED MURRURUNDI  reg at MURRURUNDI

It may well be him.

This would imply that all  references in Newspapers regarding Bankruptcy and Aldermanship etc. after this date were relating to the son, WILLIAM LAMONT Jnr. whose death you have mentioned in 1910

Sue

ADDING

WILLIAM Jnr 's occupation was Policeman, but his father was a stonemason .

For the bunkruptcy items to be applicable to WILLIAM Jnr, he would  needed to have changed occupation as the Bankrupt is listed as a Contractor. (Builder)

One of the several newspaper references

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13666592?searchTerm="william lamont douglas"&searchLimits=
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 03:01 BST (UK) »

Hi

I wonder if this burial at MURRUNDI is for a child of JOSEPH DOUGLAS, who arrived as a 17 yr old with his parents.

Douglas   Victoria Maud Year of birth   1873 death   25 Jun 1875 age   1y   dau/Joseph Douglas & Eleanor (McDougall); unmarked.

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 10 03:11 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is their marriage

REG 3846 In 1871    DOUGLAS,  JOSEPH  to MCDOUGALL ELLEN  at WOLLOMBI

Sue

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks very much for your assistance in searching for William Lamont. It all seems to now fit together, and we have also found later generations.

We have sent away for some NSW certificates, one for the 1910 death at Granville for William Jnr., as I have now found the Death of of wife Annie P in Granville in 1910, the other is for William Snr. in 1862. We have also sent away for the Queensland death cert. for William Donald to confirm everything. Will let you know.

Thanks again

Wildcats13

Offline Geoffa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 June 19 06:28 BST (UK) »
Wildcats 13, Which line of descent from William Lamont Douglas are you researching ?. I am researching Annie Baskerville Douglas born in 1857 who married Patrick Joseph Donohue at Gunnedah in 1883.

Geoff.
Attwell. Roach. Coustley. Beard. Kinsela. Ward.

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 June 19 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,
Sorry but unable to assist you further as I was doing some research for a friend within our community and I passed all the information to him nine years ago. We have moved on and I checked to find him without success. If is any help, he was a Campbell.
Wildcats13