Author Topic: Miner with Two Wives  (Read 8410 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Miner with Two Wives
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Arrivals,
Selina Bray 33 yo and John Bray 9 yo, Dec 1862, on the Red Jacket, Vic unassisted passengers, PROV.

Assisted passengers,
BRAY, Gertrude 8, Jedidah 6 on the Gresham Dec 1863.

JOB,
Elizabeth 10, Elizabeth 9, Gertrude7, Jedidah 5 Mary 30, Mary 33 Dec 1863 on the Gresham.

Obviously they have been listed under both names.

Marriages in Vic

Ananiah Job to Mary Bouchier 1860, 2 births 1862 at Irrewarra, 1864 at ONDI?

Ananiah and Mary Jelbert 1866 at Irrewarra, 67 at Colac, 69, 71, 72 and 74 at Colac. No death for a Mary Job in between wives, could it still be the same Mary.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
You mean they remarried in 1866? (after all there was a Ananiah and Mary Jelbert marriage in 1851 in Cornwall, so unless she felt the need to redo they shouldn't have needed to marry), or that was the first kid to them in Victoria?

The timing seems right (and the location in terms of distance from Ballarat).

Ananiah Job leaves Cornwall sometime mid-1850s, leaves Mary1 (nee Jelbert) and Elizabeth at home, then marries Mary2 (nee Bouchier).
Sometime probably early 1864 Mary1 locates him in the Irrewarra area, Mary2 returns to her parents with the payment (wonder what happened to her children?)
Mary1 stays with Ananiah and they have further kids.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
Oh what a tangled web we weave  ;D

Found a John Bray in St Austell who sold up his farm in 1858?
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
The Brays seem to have been quite respectable folk, John Bray must have set up house and then sent money back to bring his wife and kids over, hence Selina travelling unassisted and procuring Mary Job's services to bring the daughters (perhaps they were poorly and couldn't travel over with their mother and brother at the time?).

On the other hand, Anania(h/s) Job may well be related to Zephaniah Job of Polperro, a very interesting figure who also had a nephew Ananiah (not the same as went to Australia, would have been from a previous generation but the names seem to have run in the family):
http://www.heritagepress.polperro.org/job.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry Jorose, I should have put births in front of those dates, Ananiah and Mary Jelbart didn't remarry, they are dates for their childrens births. It was late last night when I did that.

We probably know more about these two families than their descendants do. I reckon Annaniah just rolled over in his grave.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 08:05 BST (UK) »
Do we want to follow up on the children?

Mary Bouchiers children
Mary Anne born 1862, marries Joseph Teague in 1883, they have 6 children, Mary ann dies in 1918, parents given as Peter Job and Mary Jane Bouchier.

Henry Annaniah Job born 1864, marries Eliza Jane Baker in 1892. Search under JOBE. Death 1919 Eaglehawk. Parents Annaniah Jobe and Mary Bouchier.

Mary Jelbert's children,
Jane 1866
James 1867
Maria 1869 d. 1887 Mother Mary 'Gilbert'
William Henry 1871, marries Eliza Southwell.
John 1872

mum mum
Sarah 1874

Offline aussiesteveb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have read this story with great interest as I am connected to Mary Ann Job, the 'first' wife.

Mum mum could you please contact me as I have some further questions on Balcombe lines as well.

Thanks everyone for  giving me this amazing story of Mary Jelbart Job.

Offline gaylet55

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 June 19 06:32 BST (UK) »
I found this on Trove today and it seems to support that Ananiah Job had two wives - Henry Bouchier (Mary's brother) vs Ananiah Job - no maiden name of first wife mentioned though.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/148767749?searchTerm=ananiah%20job&searchLimits=