Author Topic: WATSON/SHEWAN - Peterhead  (Read 8127 times)

Offline fruitcake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WATSON/SHEWAN - Peterhead
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Glendaveny, much appreciated.  I have sent you a PM with my email address.

fruitcake
DANIEL, ROBB, CASTLE/CASTEL, BARCLAY, MATTHEW, HALL, RAE, CHAPP, FRASER, MUTCH, MATHEW, BYRES, BURR, JOHNSTON, GAVIN, FINNIE, THOMSON, WISHART, SMITH, SHEPHERD, ELDER, BIRSE, MARTIN, GRANT, LOW, FORBES, SCOTT, WATSON, GRAY, GALL, SHEWAN, MCKENZIE, MCRITCHIE - Aberdeenshire
DRIVER, BIRD, JEFFS, BARLOW - Northamptonshire
GOLDTHORP/GOLDTHORPE, FORD, TUCKWELL, TAYLOR, BUSHBY - London, Kent, Surrey

Offline belliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 January 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I realize this thread is old, and I'm just starting my research, but would be appreciative of any information on David Shewan who married a Jessie Thompson. 

I have David Shewan (unconfirmed) as the father of John Keir Shewan (1847-1903 from Aberdeenshire), married a Mary Jane Bent (England).  They came to Canada (about 1864) and settled in Minto/Wellington.

There is also a possible Alexander Shewan (and Elizabeth/Eliza Chalmers) who could be the parents of David but this lead seems less likely.

David would be my great, great great grandfather on my father's side.
Any information would be appreciated.  Thx in advance,
b.

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but I think you may be on the wrong track. David Shewan and his wife Jessie Thomson had a son John Kerr Shewan in 1847. But my records show he married Rebecca Walker, and died in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1907.  You might want to check this by looking at his death certificate on Scotland's People as I have not totally verified the info ( not my direct line).   If you look for John in a census like 1851 it might shown you where his father was born.

I have found that there are 'pockets' of Shewan's in Shetland, NE Scotland and NE England. But I've never really managed to link them up   
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline belliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 17 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reference and information. Too bad that it does not seem a match but I'll keep going.

Offline fruitcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 January 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi belliot, you are definitely on the wrong track, David Shewan and Jessie Thomson are my 3x Great Grandparents and their daughter Margaret (Maggie) Shewan is my 2x Great Grandmother. Glendavenny is correct in that John Keir Shewan (Keir not Kerr) married Rebekah Walker in Peterhead in 1872.
DANIEL, ROBB, CASTLE/CASTEL, BARCLAY, MATTHEW, HALL, RAE, CHAPP, FRASER, MUTCH, MATHEW, BYRES, BURR, JOHNSTON, GAVIN, FINNIE, THOMSON, WISHART, SMITH, SHEPHERD, ELDER, BIRSE, MARTIN, GRANT, LOW, FORBES, SCOTT, WATSON, GRAY, GALL, SHEWAN, MCKENZIE, MCRITCHIE - Aberdeenshire

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 January 17 19:19 GMT (UK) »
John appears in the 1861 census of Canada, age 13, working as a labourer in Minto. Apparently on his own as no sign of any other Shewan's there. It says he was born in Scotland.
I am researching Kemp, Emslie, Mitchell in Lumphanan, Aberdeenshire; Marshall, Shewan and Adie in Longside/Peterhead, Aberdeenshire; Still, Sim, Duncan and Andrew in Boyndie/Fordyce Banffshire; Niven, Bruce, Ross, Robert in Fetteresso / Durris, Kincardineshire.

I have been researching for over 20 years and have a very extensive tree involving each of those names, proven back to the early 18th century in some cases.

Offline belliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 January 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I do have that information from Canadian records (and from very limited family oral history).  Another possibility is that his father's name is "Conrad".  Family do indicate that he was from Aberdeen but again, a very limited oral history.  I'm still piecing things together and am at least happy to eliminate David from the list.
Thanks again!

Offline Glendaveny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 January 17 19:29 GMT (UK) »
In a publication called Biographical Sketches of Early Settlers of Wellington County John is listed. It says he was induced to come to Canada by his uncle James Chalmers. He is said to come from Aberdeenshire. In the 1851 Scottish census, there is a John Shewan aged 4 living with his grandmother Helen Chalmers at Old Deer. The census says this is in Banffshire but it is actually in Aberdeenshire. I think this is probably your man. It's a starting point anyway.

Offline fruitcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 January 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will be any help to you, but there is another David Shewan in this line of my family, he's David Walker Shewan who is the grandson of David Shewan and Janet/Jessie Thomson.  This David Walker Shewan is the son of David and Janet's son William Shewan (who married Helen Walker) and David Walker Shewan emigrated to Canada.