Author Topic: Essex parish records online - project  (Read 29803 times)

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Essex parish records online - project
« on: Thursday 07 October 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I didn't want to post this in the resources section because I've only just started the website and so it's not a particularly useful resource currently!

I've got several microfiche of parish registers for Essex (and Suffolk) and as there's really not a great deal online for the parishes I'm interested in, I thought I'd rectify that! (and being born in Essex, I suppose it's a tribute to the county I grew up in). I'm a librarian and I run a couple of sites so it seemed like a natural thing to do, really (I work in the same building as several microfiche readers so you can guess what I spend my lunchtimes doing!). I was inspired in part by a site I found for parish registers in Somerset:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colinsgenealogy/Udevsite/
I thought it was really nice of Colin to put all that online, and I found it very useful when looking for my Somerset line - so I thought I'd give something back and fill some gaps in online provision of Essex records.

This is a work in progress and once I've come up with a snappy name for it I'll change the header, and there's other bits and bobs that need to be tweaked, but so you can see what I'm up to, have a butchers here:
http://helvissa.com/parishrecords/

So far I've got Great Bromley baptisms 1800 to 1806 online (I'll do the name indexes later), and I've got permission from Acton in Suffolk to publish transcripts of their records. I'm waiting to hear from St Osyth and Weeley if they'll give me permission to publish the transcripts online. I'm going to be getting some records for Great Horksley, West Bergholt, East Donyland and Layer-de-la-Haye, at some point.

The reason I'm mentioning this now is because I was wondering if anyone had any transcribed records that they would like to see hosted on the site? Obviously we'd need to seek permission from the parish, and of course I would credit you. I really think that sharing is key to genealogy, as this forum amply demonstrates! So I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone is interested in being part of this project. Even if someone has microfiche they'd be willing to lend me to transcribe myself, that'd be awesome. Do let me know!

Thanks,
Helen.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Essex parish records online - project
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Update:
Great Bromley baptisms, marriages & burials online from 1800 to 1812.

I now have permission from Weeley so baptisms and marriages for Weeley have been transcribed from 1813 to 1837, and are being added to the website.

(Great Bromley seems to be on the IGI, but I personally find it very hard to search on there!).

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen.

You're doing a great job -  more power to your elbow.

Regards, David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! :)

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
well done you  ;D ;D

ronnie

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I've done a Weeley spouse index for marriages 1813 to early 1837. The full transcriptions are going up gradually but if anyone sees a marriage that's not up yet and wants the full details of it, please let me know.

I'm going to do more Weeley, from 1787 for baptisms and burials (as they're available digitally up to that date) and marriages from 1752. Just waiting for the fiche!

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 November 10 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Update

St Osyth have given me permission to include their registers in the project so those will start appearing soon. It'll be marriages 1754-1812 and baptisms & burials 1781-1812.

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandad Harry Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 January 11 12:38 GMT (UK) »
You are doing a good service I find Great Sampford is lacking in baptism etc on the web.
JACKSON OF SUFFOLK, REYNOLDS OF CAMBRIDGE, PILCHER OF KENT, GOSTICK OF BEDFORDSHIRE AND LINCS, UNWIN OF ESSEX AND CAMBRIDGE, PRIME OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WARD OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WOLFE OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline pinkgardengnome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Update

St Osyth have given me permission to include their registers in the project so those will start appearing soon. It'll be marriages 1754-1812 and baptisms & burials 1781-1812.

Hello,
It is lovely to see that you are putting these records online and I am looking forward to seeing more going up.
I have been asked by a member of The St Osyth Hostorical Society to ask you who gave you the permission? I hope you don't mind me asking, but the society has not been informed about your work.
Kind regards
Terri