Author Topic: Toys/Tighes  (Read 8789 times)

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toys/Tighes
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 November 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Daisy,this could be my Maggie.Not my Patrick though.Census records, same family but the other sons stayed in Scotland.Any ideas on what occupations these immigrants had in Chile?When they were in Inverchaolain I believe it was forestry work.So there's incoming passenger info.out there somewhere?
Toy/Tighe,Coatbridge and Chile.Delargy and Hendry,Antrim and Airdrie.Doona,Meara and Moriarty,Co. Kerry.

Offline jricect

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 December 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I too am intrigued by what happened to the Tighe family. As far as I can tell it is John his wife Mary Jane Mullins and children William Elizabeth and Patrick that are unaccounted for after the 1881 census. I have info on the other children indicating John and Mary Jane were still alive as late as 1893.

Can anyone share why Chile might be where they went?

John

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 December 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi John.What do you have on John and Maryjane after 93?I have more info on susan and Annie and it looks like Maggie married in Chile.William is on the 81 census living with Thomas and his wife.Thanks,Meara
Toy/Tighe,Coatbridge and Chile.Delargy and Hendry,Antrim and Airdrie.Doona,Meara and Moriarty,Co. Kerry.

Offline jricect

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Meara,

Susan Tighe died unmarried in 1893 in Broxburn at age 28. Her death record does not note her parents, John and Mary Jane Mullen as being deceased. Margaret Tighe married Peter Floody in the Broxburn Catholic Church on June 29, 1888.

I can't account for John, his wife Mary Jane, their children Patrick and Elizabeth nor Margaret and her husband Peter Floody.

What makes you think/suspect they went to Chile?

John

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that John.My connection is Maryjane and John were my G.G.Grandparents.G.Grandfather was John[lot of Johns here].It was always a vague rumour about part of the family going to Chile,hence my interest.I have Annie travelling from Valparaiso to Liverpool Aug.1891 then marrying in Oct.Andrew McClay in Broxburn.Marriage cert.says John was then a farmer,I presume in Chile.Susan also travelled from Talcahuano to Liverpool in 1892.Do you also know that other brothers Thomas and William lived near Broxburn in '81? Meara

Offline jricect

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Meara,

Well then we are related as John Tighe and Mary Jane Mullens Tighe were also my great great grandparents. I had thought that they returned to Ireland after the 1881 census as no family lore about Chile has been passed down though my side of the family which is through Mary Tighe Murphy. My Mother was given Tighe as her middle name.
I have William at your great grandfather John’s wedding in Brigeton on November 1, 1882 and then nothing after that for William but more for John and his family to share.
Ann’s husband Andrew McLay is also related to me by my Uncle’s marriage to Elizabeth Duffy McLay.
Tommy died in Broxburn in 1930 18 days after my great grandmother Mary died and just months after my family came to America.
Thank you for the information about Anne and Susan’s incoming voyages. I will follow up.
Regards
John

Offline Rflood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 January 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Meara and others

Glad to inform you that I accidentally came across this forum and to my surprise, it seems that we share common ancestors. We are the Floody / Thiges from Chile you were looking for. Peter Floody and Margaret Thige Mullen settled in Ercilla, Chile, at an unknown date in the late 1880¨s and their offsprings in Chile are now quite numerous. My grandfather was Patricio Floody Thige and married my grandmother; Beatrice Buxton Doxey in Ercilla. Ercilla was a common destination place for British immigrants. Since I am not very familiar with genealogy, I will post further facts once I gather information about the chilean side of the family.

Regards

Ricardo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 January 11 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. It's lovely when different branches of a family find each other here- just remember we aren't allowed to post details of living people, email addresses etc.
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 January 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ricardo,good to hear from you.Maggie's brother John was my greatgrandfather and he stayed in Scotland.I believe Maggie's parents John and Maryjane also went to Chile with son Patrick and daughter Elizabeth some time after 1888.I would like to know what work they did there,if you've any questions on the Tighe history I'd be glad to help...Meara