Author Topic: What did a railway gatekeeper do?  (Read 21241 times)

Offline Hells Belles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What did a railway gatekeeper do?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 November 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello. In 1911 census my G G Granddad occupation is listed as O.Holder Mid Rwy. My mum said she thought he was a gate keeper for Midland Railway but I have no clue what the O.Holder means! Can anybody help please? Thanks Helen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 November 18 09:57 GMT (UK) »
A guess. Office holder, ie gatekeeper.
Stretching things a bit, but till something better turns up.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Hells Belles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 November 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 November 18 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Is this James George William Stevens of Stapleford? If so the occupation code is shown as 515 which is "Pointsmen, Level Crossing Men"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hells Belles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Wow, yes it is! On a census it detailed O. Holder but now I can see 515 in green. When looking at census I never realised what significance the writing was. Especially 3 red zeros! Brilliant thank you.

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 November 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
On further reflection it did also depend on the density of road traffic as to whether or not a crossing was mechanised; two I am very familiar with, London Road and West Street Boston were both mechanised in the 1940s and probably earlier, the rail traffic at London Road was considerably lighter than that at West Street, though the road traffic was arguably heavier. Even so, the total rail traffic would be considerably less than the 125 suggested on the day shift, so it is very surprising to me that this crossing at Driffield was not mechanised.

You have to remember that the mechanisation would involve miles and miles of double cable, chains, pulleys and a huge hand wheel in the nearest signal box. If this signal box was too far away no means of mechanisation would be possible.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 November 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree, the two cases I quoted at Boston were literally on site, with the controlling box at the end of the crossing.i don't know the location of the box at Driffield in relation to the crossing, but the supposition seems realistic.
Incidentally there were two further level crossings at Boston between the two mentioned,ie Locomotive Street and Broadfield St. Neither were manual, both under the control of a crossing keeper,and at both site rail operations were intensive, there being a dozen or more tracks involved, 2 main lines, a goods loop and access to and from the goods yard and motive power depot, plus 8 or ten sidings.Road traffic could wait hours at both. The habitations being otherwise cut off by road.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)