Author Topic: Cummins of magilligan.  (Read 7669 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Cummins of magilligan.
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
I know that my G grandfather  (x3) was born in 1810 and died in 1895, he attended dunboe presbyterian church, but he was not born their as he was not in the 1831 census, he seems to have relatives (possibly brothers) in magilligan (tircreeven), he baptised his daughter in magiligan presbyterian church and he lived ballywildrick Coleraine. I have searched magilligan and dunboe presbyterian church for his baptisim and have had no luck, i have also searched all the graveyards in magilligan, dunboe, caslterock and limavady and have found no one before him! So i am going to try and see if i can find his parents in ballykelly presbyterian church. Where would presbyterians in magilligan go then to be baptised? It is pretty much guaranteed that he was baptised as he attended this dunboe presbyterian church (1st). I have a slight memory seeing a john cummins (which is in the griffiths valuation.) and a annie cummins somewhere, could someone try and find imformation about him- parents or even anyone before him as its a real struggle to find anything at all before him. (besides 1740 census.) If possible could someone actually look up the 1831 census of limavady or even magilligan and try and find cummins and tell me what it says thanks. ;D

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cummins of magilligan.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
The following were head of households in 1831

Killowen      Killowen [part of Coleraine]   Elizabeth   Cumming
Aghanloo      Ballycarton                   George   Cummins
Magilligan      Ballymaclary                   Thomas   Cummins
Magilligan      Carnowry                     John   Cummins
Magilligan      Oughtymoyle                   Patrick   Cuming
Magilligan      Tircreven                                   David   Cumming
Magilligan      Tircreven                                   Henry   Cumming
Magilligan      Tircreven                                   Samuel    Cumming jnr
Templemore   Ballyarnet                                   Joseph   Cummins

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Aw thanks you are great! That means that my surname was cumming and that harry cumming is most certainly related to me in the 1740 census he must be my great great great great great grandfather! ;D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:18 BST (UK) »
Spelling of names was not consistant and it was not uncommon to find the same person recorded in one diocument under variations of the same name. Therefore, you can't assume a person isn't related or is related based solely on the name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Spelling of names was not consistant and it was not uncommon to find the same person recorded in one diocument under variations of the same name. Therefore, you can't assume a person isn't related or is related based solely on the name.

No its not that its the location of john cummins that i am certain about as their is a harry cumming in the 1740 census right there, now i know my surname was cumming aswell.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:24 BST (UK) »
There might be a connection but you really cannot assume so. My great-great-grandmother came from a townland where there were 17 families with the same surname but they weren't all related.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
There might be a connection but you really cannot assume so. My great-great-grandmother came from a townland where there were 17 families with the same surname but they weren't all related.

Oh i see what you mean but since their is very little of us in the area thats what i'm thinking but we shall have to see.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Certainly keep the information in mind but I think it will be very, very difficult to find any proof of a connection with so few records from that period.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Certainly keep the information in mind but I think it will be very, very difficult to find any proof of a connection with so few records from that period.

Yep i agree if only they were church of ireland. :-[